Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Old TOS station (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Old TOS station
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a proper go at designing a space station before, first time for everything.
This is supposed to be the predecessor to the mushroom spacedock from the later movies, when I started sketching it out I had the idea that when it was retired, it was converted into the fleet museum.
That way the station itself is an exhibit.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NICE! Makes a nice relation to FJ's Starfleet Headquarters design.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey this is pretty cool. Simplistic enough in design to be good for TOS.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. The drydock attaches/detaches... hmmm could they attach more than one?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather that is what the blue rectangles are representing.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are three of the spacedocks... What do the smaller pods do? Smaller ships? Really big shuttlebays?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, there are meant to be three large 'starship' sized drydocks there.
the reasone I replaced the other two is that the drydock image itself is quite elaborate and takes up quite a bit of memory and three of them would really slow things down.
As for the pod docks, I imagine that they are assembly facilities for moderately large hull sections as well as being standard spacedocks for the smaller classes of spaceships.
The shuttlebays are those dark grey boxes just under the upper 'mushroom' section.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Depending on what was contained in the 'enclosed areas' - you could JUST fit a Connie in there.

They could house 'secret' projects?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming a Connie wasn't too tall to fit in there.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that making that stardock assembly able to retract as needed to accomodate various starship sizes wouldn'g be to hard [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

N�mero uno: A Constitution cannot fit inside any of those three structures simply becuse they are not completely hollow shells. They have an internal structuer which would pervent such a large ship from even getting in the door.

Num�ro deux: The drydock is capable of some limited telescoping, but this function is very limited because of the mechanical nature of the structure.
To put it into perspective, it can probably expand to accommodate a Federation-Class dreadnought (as FJ drew it) and retract to about two thirds the length it is currently depicted as.
However in this state it isn't much use as a dry-dock since most of the mooring beam emitters and the hard dock armatures would be way out of alignment for most vessels.
The best it could probably manage for smaller ships is adequate illumination for minor hull repair and inspection.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

In the other 'blue rectangles' there could be different sized dry-docks for other classes instead of all three being for Connies?

I hate how they just reused the dry dock in "Relativity" for all sizes of ships with out ramping up or down the relavent structures.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said in e-mail, I like this as a candidate for the (primary) orbital part of Starbase 11 in TOS. The attached dock structures would be for limited and finishing work (i.e., the Intrepid was in one of those and was going to be moved out to make room for Enterprise). Other free-floating docks would be out far enough that any explosions wouldn't damage the station. [Wink]

For Starbase 1, I personally combine the write-up from the DS9 novel "Time's Enemy" with Ralph McQuarrie's concept painting of the hollowed-out asteroid, reproduced in "The Art of Star Trek".

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Jonah is correct that the free orbiting type drydocks (as seen in TMP) would handle anything the integrated structures couldn't accommodate.

However there appears to be some confusion as to what this station actually is.
I designed it as the predecessor to the big mushroom station seen in ST:III onwards, presumably the primary facility of the San Francisco Shipyards.
I assume Starbase-1 and Spacedock-1 are two entirely different installations, I'm not even sure where SB-1 would be located, Alpha Centauri perhaps?

As for the Starbase-11 connection, I see problem with that facility also using this station design as it's central orbiting hub.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, this starts to lead into speculation on the Federation's shipbuilding and manufacturing capabilities at various points in its history...

F'r instance, were the "dozen like her" comments about the Enterprise in TOS due to the limitations of shipbuilding, or attrition from hostile powers and anomalies-of-the-week?

When were the various shipyards established, and how extensive were they at different times? I think it plain to say Utopia Planitia wasn't always as big as we saw in "Relativity", but when did it reach that size, and how long did that expansion take?

All this leads back round to the question of whether the mushroom was built all at once over the course of a few years, or expanded upon a smaller core over the course of a century.

This is a subject very much at the forefront of my Treknological musings lately, as I've been firmly entrenched in my Jeffries-verse fleet extrapolations for the last month or so...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps