Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Tactical Equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tactical Equipment
CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to find a method to calculate a ships tactical strength...

But I'm wondering about the capabilities and parameters of Starfleet systems [Confused]

Here is the equipment template for the Uprated Galaxy Class (aka Bright Star):

Main launcher fore
L200C High capacity quantum torpedo launcher
Loading cycle: 0.52 s
Firing cycle: 0.22 s
Maximum chambering: 12
fires T62C Multipurpose quantum torpedo
Maximum range: 1.8 x 10^6 km
Yield: 50.8 it
Size: 2.4 m

Main launcher aft/Saucer launcher aft
2 x L23M Standard photon torpedo launcher
Loading cycle: 0.46 s
Firing cycle: 0.32 s
Maximum chambering: 6
fires T47T Multipurpose photon torpedo
Maximum range: 1.6 x 10^6 km
Yield: 18.5 it
Size: 2.1 m

Shield system
D93T High dissipative multi areal shielding
Capacity: 6200 PJ
Dissipation: 11.2 PW
Breakthrough limit: 22.4 PW
Regeneration rate: 6.8 PJ/s
Areas: 8
Windows: 4

The Phaser section would be longer so I've left it out for now.

Any suggestions for different numbers or parameters?

"Si vis pacem para bellum."

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riiiight.

What the "fuck" are "PJ", "PW" and "it" anyway? Or did you also make that up?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What the "fuck" are "PJ", "PW" and "it" anyway?
Petajoule, petawatt, and isoton. For shame you aren't up on your terminology, Trek Boy. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Could we PLEASE try to be nice to the (returning) newbies for a change?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you just doing the tactical systems or will be going over all the upgrades made on a Galaxy Class such as Deflector Dish technology, sensor modules and scanning ranges, Warp Propulsion and Impulse Engine outputs, and Communication system replacements?

Also, why have the foward torp launcher be Quantum and the aft torp launcher photon? Wouldn't it make more sense to make both visible launchers Quantum Torpedo Launchers?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh.. right. Well, on my defense, those SI prefixes are a bit rarer than the others [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is this just based upon the poster's imagination? Should I be moving the thread to the "Creativity" section?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... based upon the many discussions that we've had here and I've had elsewhere... it's crazy to think that torpedo tubes are limited to either photon or quantum. They fire both and can do so in the same volley along with a probe and casket!

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Indeed. Could we PLEASE try to be nice to the (returning) newbies for a change?

My lynch mob hates you.

Look, if one's going to make stats up, then one can really do no wrong by consulting sites like DITL.com. It's full of made-up stats, like a septic tank is full of....

*dragged off by angry DITList mob*

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course every quantum launcher can fire photon torpedos too.

Torpedo stock for the uprated Galaxy Class (aka Bright Star) is as follow:

60 quantum torpedos (either T62C or T89A but the latter is only seldom carried by Galaxys)
200 photon torpedos (either T47T or the advanced T53A, T33C and T46K could theoretically be fired from the L23 series but are only seldom used)

It is clear that the quantum stock would be far earlier empty so the L200C can switch to the other for photons. (They can even mix it, a Type IV probe, 4 quantums, 6 photons and a "Spock-in-a-can" coffin can be fired together.)

The TM gives size figures only for the photon (the older T27 series, but the T47 and T53 are of the same size) but none for the quantums. But all this technobabble about a zero-point-field-chamber and fluoronetic steam makes me think the quantum is larger than the photon. So a larger loading chamber, tube, ... for the torpedos would be needed. It would make no sense to me to upgrade every launcher in the fleet for the use of quantums when most of the vessels will never see a quantum in their whole service time.
(Only the Sovereign (14 in service), the uprated Galaxy (29), the Prometheus (3) and a few non-canon ships use quantums in the STAR TREK: CONCORDIUM series.)

How often have we seen a Galaxy firing from her aft launcher? Assimilate me if I'm wrong but it must have been less than ten times.

(I have written weapons, shield and warp propulsion data for most Starfleet vessels, maybe tactical sensors and impulse propulsion/maneuvrability will be added late.)

"Si vis pacem para bellum."

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
29 uprated Galaxies?!? 14 Sovvies? What year are you 'in' as it were?

Did the DS9TM have any info about the size of the Q-torps? I know there was a bit about them but can't remember exactly what info was included.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

The graphics suggested they were about the same size as the photon torps, but with a slightly sleeker shape.

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 TM gave dimensions, they were similar and compatible IMO.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this be in the Creative Forum then?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to figure that out. It depends, I suppose, upon what the point of the thread is. And I can't figure that out, either.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps