Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Aurora (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S.S. Aurora
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, my spelling is really bad.

quote:
Woo yay!

That's a very nice one. Perhaps you could turn it around and make it into some other TOS or Movie-era alien ship.

(hint, hint, get it off my thread) [Wink]

hehe

I wasn't putting that much thought into it, just modifying the lines enough to get shot of the Tholian influence as much as possible.
I just find the idea of a backwards web spinner with strap on nacelles inescapably silly, but I suppose were stuck with it, being onscreen and all.

Great schematic as always though Harry. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh I forgot also: fore/aft/plan views?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, after comparing your schematic to pictures at IDIC( http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/tholian.html) and other sites ( http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/misc/tholian.html ) I've notice a few inaccuracies.
1. The nacelle has too many ribs, and the collar behind the bussard is too long.
2. The nacelle supports should be thicker; they seem to completely fill the gutter in the edge of the wing.
3. The planes of the wings and center pylon (out of which the wings come) continue onto the nose, but are angled in more sharply.
4. The end of the gutter ends in a Y shape.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
The end of the gutter ends in a Y shape.

Seen hard times, huh? [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also looks like the central 'core' is actually perfectly horizontal compared to the nacelles, and not sloped down.. In fact, those Fact Files schematics are completely crap.

Here's an updated version. IMO, this is a lot closer to the actual model.

-

Now, I think I like this more than with the rather dominant red parts. But I guess those red glowy things were on-screen?

Confession: I've never actually seen the episode [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, you never really want to.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the redness was due to the lighting in the shots more than anything else. I do think it would be reasonable to add a glow to the bussard collectors, tho. And I truly would enjoy full views if you can manage, it seems your rendition is the most accurate and definitive version of this design thus far.

It's really too bad that you haven't seen the ep, Harry. It's a riot, especially the part where the space hippies and Spock have a jam session together! LOL!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That new color scheme definitely befits the ship a lot more, IMO.

I've only seen part of the episode myself. But watching a bunch of poorly-dressed wackos saying "Herbert" over and over again, and then Spock singing with them in the mess hall, really was more than enough for me. "The Way to Eden" is one of only two Trek episodes that I have ever turned off. (The other one is "Mudd's Women.")

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks much better, Harry. I agree that the core should be horizontal.

1. I think the red color of the panels is just because of the ambient like reflected. The panels are more reflective than the west of the wings so throw off more color.
2. The Y at the end of the gutter is still a bit off. You seem to be showing a Y shaped border between the wing and the central core. Instead, the border is well behind the Y. It looks like a soft, sanded border that I have trouble making out.
3. I'm wonder, are you drawing the wings at 120 degree angles from each other? An equilateral triangle seems to make the most sense, but front views show that the hexagon at the tip is not equal on all sides, suggest that the bottom two wings are either at a different angle, or thicker, or something.
4. I think the ribs on the nacelles are more rounded. Also, the bussard should be deeper (longer from front to back) than the collar directly behind it.
5. The nose is still a bit off, but you'll fix it once you start on the front view.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the front-view sketch I worked with to create the updated side view:

-

Three sides of the hexagon are a bit longer than the other three, but the wings are still at 120 degrees angles.

That Y-shape is difficult. It seemed to me like it *was* the connection between the wing and the core. The available photos never show that part of the ship in any detail.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Look at these, Harry!
http://www.edmiarecki.com/Formatting/re03.html
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/misc/tholian.jpg

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, everything is looking good. That is the first time that I have seen the ship with a pennant of "Union of Tiburan" and that logo as well as a docking port. That really adds to the ship in the design. [Wink]
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran across this. Thought you might want.

-

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps