Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Douglas class cruiser (One nacelle no less!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Douglas class cruiser (One nacelle no less!)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okey Dokey!
The "odd nacelled starships" thread had me thinking I'd share my latest model with youse mugs.
For your approval, here's my USS Douglas, a DS9 era, one nacelled starship that should perform better than most early TNG era two nacelled starships because of improvments in technology.....mabye.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1227830&uid=657989
What advantages would having only one nacelle have over two?
Less mass, smaller target profile, easier coverage for defensive weapons...all would make something like this feasable, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

I'm really happy with the model but you'll have to excuse the poor photography: My new place doesnt have the lighting set-up for better quality depth of field shots yet.
Also of note is that I'm not the ship's original designer but I've changed the windows, lifeboats, shuttlebay, impulse engines, hull plating, bridge and phasers so I feel she's partly my own. [Wink]

Heres the original vesion of this model and design.
http://www.ravenstarstudios.com/federation/douglass.html

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for those the size of Tim, it can double as a hand phaser!

I think its a good idea. What scale are you building in?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1:2500th scale (all my models are).
I think it looks more like a microphone myself, but if the shuttlebay was the fire button...
I could see the phaser working out too.

Like McCoy using the model part of the K'Tinga engineering section as a medical device in STIV. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason,

Cool design, but I don't think you'd reap a tactical advantage from having one nacelle on the Douglass- class. Why not? Because the sensor/target profile you would present would be no greater than your widest point, which is your primary hull here. Even with two close-together nacelles you wouldn't lose the advantage of the smaller sensor/target profile.

Just my 2 cents

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, this kind of has two nacelles blended into one frame.
I like it tactically, because the nacelles are such obvious targets that having the close together might make them easier to defend and quickly repair.
On this design, repair teams have access to almost the whole nacelle without EVA.

Fits in Spacedock better too!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the sleek, fast-scout lines. Nice model ya go there. I wish mine only took a few hours work.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

YOU bought one of these?!?
Man, I'd love to see what someone else would do with the basic design: I think only a very few were ever made before the cutoff date.

All told this sip took about 15 hours to paint/decal/modify: mainly because the first paintjob was ruined when some dumbass sprayed gray paint on it instead of clear coat. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad for a non-TOS design. [Smile]

It looks like a TNG version of my Predator class destroyer. All the components are actually in the same places. Neat!

I think you really improved the basic design.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hey!
It does look like your Predator class!
Kewel.

I love the Predator, BTW...for a TOS design. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh... it does look like Predator[]i] class, and yet it distinctly different. It reminded me why I don't like [i]NX class again. [Smile]

Very good work (I mean the ship, not reminder [Smile] )

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
And for those the size of Tim, it can double as a hand phaser!

I think its a good idea. What scale are you building in?

...who is Tim? is he a truck driver? i knew a Tim from high school in our D&D group. no comment on all the events in the Groo Log attributed to him, however. unlikely that it is [Confused] him but one can never know in this slightly pear shaped, taste like cheese sandwiches world of ours...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nicely done Jason! I really like the design. That'd look good a little bigger than 2500th... [Smile]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Ravenstar Studios
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for Ravenstar Studios     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao Your predator as all of your designs are fanstastic and well balanced. I've always wanted to build all of your designs , but never enough time.
The Douglass was designed about 7 years ago and I finally was able to build it 5 years ago. It sold very well and I had a blast making it. I wasnted to build a post NG style scout and thats what I came up with.
Jackill wanted to make blueprints of it , but I haven't heard from Eric in a while , not sure where that stands.But it would be cool to see.

--------------------
Chris Lynch
www.Ravenstarstudios.com

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, I never saw your design until Jason posted it, so seeing how it resembled my scout was a real kick in the head (but in a good way!). I guess that certain solutions to design and engineering problems work well, regardless of the era, and will be independently arrived at periodically. Sort of like convergent evolution.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Ravenstar Studios
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for Ravenstar Studios     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well look at it a little simpler," Great minds think alike." [Smile]

--------------------
Chris Lynch
www.Ravenstarstudios.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps