Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Daedalus poll (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Daedalus poll
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine the Daedalus to be a sort of destroyer built during the Earth-Romulan War. It is small, fast, and contains a reasonably formidable weapons package. Built around the already-designed components of the Intrepid-class and NX-class (including bridge modules, warp nacelles,etc.), it measures around 159 meters in length. It is only later, after the founding of the Federation, that the class ship we call the Daedalus is pressed into service as an explorer.

Tell me what you think. Be brutal, but keep in mind this is a fast cobble-together of one idea. The positioning of ports, hull details, etc. is just a placeholder.

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/?action=view¤t=comparison.jpg

Well?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care for the secondary hull. And something about the nacelle struts isn't right. Maybe the nacelles should be farther forward? I don't know.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know about the secondary hull, either. Is there any evidence that Earth ships employ that rear "undercut" in the 2100s? Personally, I think that should be a later development. I would think that, if we're assuming Sisko's Horizon model is based on a real ship, the design should look at least fairly close to the model. Otherwise, why does the model look that way?
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN,

I'm not worried so much about adhering to canon for this. This is just a fun reinterpreting the Daedalus taking into account the events and designs of "Enterprise".

To take your question about the presence of the undercut, why would an undercut necessarily require a wait until the 2200's? What is so unique about the 2200's that would preclude an undercut before then?

I really don't give a rip about Sisko's Horizon model. If I were trying to copy the existing Daedalus, it's been done to death. This is something new.

Think about it. They're making a habit out of it. The Kzinti are now the Xindi. The Dy-100 class is basically supplanted by the Conestoga. The Romulan BOP's have been retro-designed into something REALLY alien-looking.

Doing that to the Daedalus is no big deal.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
They're making a habit out of it. The Kzinti are now the Xindi.

!?!

That deserved a sexicon! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tzenkethi are the Kzin.
Not that cat-peope have any place outside of cheesy 80's movies anyway.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To take your question about the presence of the undercut, why would an undercut necessarily require a wait until the 2200's? What is so unique about the 2200's that would preclude an undercut before then?"

I wasn't suggesting that ships built on 31. December, 2199 would be undercut-less, and all the ships built 1. January, 2200 and after would suddenly have them. I'm just saying that I don't think we've seen any so far in the ENT era, so it seems sensical that they might have been developed later. Especially since they are supposed to have something to do with maximizing warp efficiency, which is something he ENT engineers are still definitely working on.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
continuity fix?

K'Xindi is the Xindi name for the Xindi-Felinoids. They fight four wars with Earth. Sulu said so in "The Slaver Weapon"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Otherwise, why does the model look that way?
Because Sisko is CREATIVE!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know that they wanted Sisko to be a "builder" from early on in the series... does anyone think that Picard built the stargazer model... I don't think so! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Irishman
Member # 1188

Come on. Think about the problem from this point of view. The NX-01 has been established already as a saucer with no secondary hull.

How many ways can we go from there to the basic IDEA of the Daedalus (sphere primary hull with basically an engineering secondary hull.)? All the deuterium tanks from NX-01's saucer, along with those "turbo-chargers" with a warp and impulse room, shoved back into the secondary hull. If we go from the look of the NX-01 directly to the original Daedalus (admittedly a TOS Enterprise pre-design. it's questionable that it ever made it to the final design phase), that is going to look retarded, for lack of a better word. Are we assuming that Starfleet learns how to miniaturize those warp 5 engines shrinking it down to a 105-odd meter ship? Plus, what would be the logic behind doing so now?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Why does it have to be 105 meters long? That's just what the charts in the Encyclopedias say. And it by far wouldn't be the only mistake.
Irishman
Member # 1188

You still haven't explained how the old veg-and-2-meat look with the "Strength banding" and overall TOS look is going to work, given the more advanced and detailed design of the NX-01, Intrepid, ECS Fortunate, Conestoga, et al?

--------------------

Irishman
Member # 1188

Sorry, that should have said veg-and-3-meat

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps