Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Daedalus poll (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Daedalus poll
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would pose the counter-question of how you are going to maintain the look of the TOS Enterprise as believable without something in that style leading up to it...

Oh and the Xindi aren't supposed to be the Kzin, I don't think. They would have come a bit earlier than ENT's timeframe and, as Jason pointed out, they've received mentions on DS9 as the Tzenkethi. That being said, however, I rather like Mike's idea...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think maintaining the look of the TOS Enterprise is even an issue here, and I'll tell you why.

I remember in the extra material of the ST:TMP DVD a mention that the producers of the film were very much looking forward to creating a model that allowed you as the viewer to see much more of the Enterprise than did the TOS. So, whereas some elements of the TMP Enterprise can be seen as design evolution within the framework of the Trek universe (i.e. a number of years after TOS), much of the visual elements of the TMP Enterprise are simply elements that we can assume were present in the TOS Enterprise, but which we could not see on television due to visual production limitations.

These include, nacelle glows, greebles, visible docking ports, deck plating joints, a frikkin GANGWAY hatch!!! etc, etc.

I mean, hell, if we took what we could see in the TOS as visual proof of everything, then we'd have to conclude that all the lit portholes had very bright white lights shining directly outward. Therefore, all plans of Starfleet ships from the TOS period should respect that and include VERY bright lamps in all the windows.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like the Bridge consoles... dont' think of them as being 23rd century technology, think of them as being 60's representation of the same 23rd century technology that we see in TMP.

In Dr WHO, we see the Tardis 'grow' a new control room every few years to help explain the change, as the show producers could make better sets.

I just thank God that TOS wasn't black and white. Can you imagine the flame wars over colors of things?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, Woozle.

For those Daedalus purists out there, give this comparison a try. Tell me what you think of it.

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/?action=view¤t=comparison.jpg

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I still prefer the lack of undercut. And I like the one right under the E (with the sphere higher) better than the one below that. And I think I'd like to see the pylons a little thinner, and maybe not angled from front to back.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom one for me. But yeah, the pylons are a little soggy around the midsection. B)
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really like the look of the one with the undercut, I prefer the one under the E.

I don't really think the Daedalus design is all that bad, although I like the attepts to make it look more like the Enterprise.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like profile R.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps