Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Astromechs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Astromechs
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What does the R stand for?

Actually, in reality, George Lucas drew from various sources for the names, locations, etc. in the Star Wars films and even every film he's done.

R2-D2 is sound editing lingo that stands for "Reel two-Dialogue two".

Darth Vader is a variation on a Danish dialect that literally means "Dark Father".

Boba Fett's name comes from a variation of Harrison Ford's character from 'American Grafitti': Bob Felva.

The name for Chewbacca's race comes from an ad-libbed (but unused line) from American Grafitti where an actor driving one of the cars hits something and they have to do a retake. When he messed up the scene, the actor looked out the car window and said something like, "Did I just run over a wookie?" ...and Lucas remembered the name.

The bounty hunter droid 4-LOM gets it's name from the bounty hunters credo: For Love Of Money!

There are a few others I've heard over the years, if I remember any more I'll post in.

----------

Very nice job on the R4 unit! I like! [Razz]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the designations from the R series come from books and other sources. These sources aren't necessarially consulted (or even written) when the scripts are written and the movies shot.

Taking ANH on it's own (since it was the first Star Wars movie and no novels or source material existed for it to draw from), we can only go bi dialouge as to which droid is which type.

When the Jawas selling the droids scene was filmed, R2 was the only designation for those type of droids, hence Luke's comment about the red R2 unit having a bad motivator. It was only after this film was made that these other designations came out.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps