Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Your Part of Starfleet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your Part of Starfleet
CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek Concordium fanfic series (to date purely offline, but maybe someday it will be on the net) features 62 ship classes, but the appearance/design of only 40 has been defined till now. So its up to you to give Starfleet of 2380 a new face.

Design something new or just pull out your hundred year old designs, I am interested in your suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------
Class 1:
S.S. Pyramid FAB-49124
Construction Vessel
7 built
Commissioned: 2345
Propulsion: 4 x Shuvinaaljis G360 units (aka nacelles); 1 x Westinghouse A650 reactor
Cruise Warp 5, Max Cruise Warp 8, Max Rated Warp 8.4
These massive vessels are the only construction ships operated by Starfleets Construction Command. While they can build the whole range of facilities from defense platforms to Spacedock-sized stations, they are mostly used for construction of arrays like Midas or Argus and for construction of Copernicus Type stations.

So you got any ideas how such a thing could look like?

"All I ask is a tall ship and someone to create it for me."

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a big BLOCK! With doors, and windows, and big bays, and warp engines. Oh, and shuttles that can mount on the exterior for fast loading are an ABSOLUTE MUST! And it should be painted neon green trim to make it look fast even thought its only a big block and should be PRECISELY 56.754% the size of a Borg cube, and should have big lettering on it which reads "Federation Block Ship, Not Borg Ship, Do Not Fire Please, Shields Not Installed Until Tuesday."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they could look like Goa'uld Hatak Class ships...
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be helpful to know what ships classes are already taken [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright I just threw this together after a little sketching...

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/dero/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paladin, I like it...but now asa Federation ship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little handicapped when it comes to designing a construction ship. Every time the model used in Activisions Armada series comes to my mind.

Snay is not so wrong. At least this is what I always thought, a LSD (a large slow duck, to say it with the Navy's words). A sleek design is not exactly what I expect for a AXB (construction vessel).

But this reminds me a little of my design for the Concordium's Enterprise class Freighter. Replacing the three sections with a cut half torus there would be enough space between the ends of the arch and the nacelles to be used as a small dock for construction of larger components

What neon green would that be? You have a RAL code avaible?

--------------------

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.k. here is a second design that should be more Federation...

Paladin181
Member # 833

And design # three, I think its the best design of the three...

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

After my first post got eaten up by my mouse (a long story) I'll make this shorter...

I like three but please do:
Connect the nacelles at the neck of the saucer
Move them closer to the hull to reduce beam
The nacelles should be smaller
The secondary hull (w/ deflector) should be not so high but broader (like a bathtub)
The secondary hull (w/ dock) can be flattened nearly to zero
On part of the cage should be connected to the hull, the other to the upper pair of nacelles with no struts between them (but still retractable)

--------------------

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

After having posted the important:

To honour your (Paladin181) efforts so far, the next time we meet the U.S.S. Paladin NCC-79417 [Smile] , a Olympus Class Heavy Explorer/Battleship, it will be commanded by you, at least if you send me your name.

(Concerning your location, you could have easily been a friend to our bold captain since he was born in Olympia)

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how anyone could read my post and think I was being "not so wrong." Allow me to point you in the direction of "harsh satire" ...
Paladin181
Member # 833

Suggestions in hand here is the Class 1, variant BB...

The cage/drydock can expand farther aft as well to faciliate larger construction projects.

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

Hopefully this post will be longer and more detailed...

Since the Pyramid is a design of the early 40's Sovereign style nacelles are to modern. Possibilities are Ambassador-like, Akira or Sabre
The lower hull is a little bit to fat, it should be 120 - 150 percent as wide as the saucer.
I liked the X form of the nacelle pylons of the earlier variant better.
The upper part of the cage should be directly attached (nailed, welded, bonded or maybe glued)to the upper pair of nacelles
The secondary hull (w/ cage) could be reduced to a large block garage for cargo, engineering and shuttle bays
The folding mechanism for the upper nacelles should be stricken; moving more than one million metric tons mechanically would be overly complicated (this is not Janeways can).

The Pyramids have been constructed in the longest docks in the 40's, now designated Type IV, which would make their maximum lenght appx. 550 metres.

And to Snay, I understood your post quite well. The Problem is that 'Federation Block Ship, Not Borg Ship, Do Not Fire Please, Shield Not Installed Until Tuesday' written in Starfleet Standard font would be to long even for a Borg Cube so we have to change the name to something shorter. But it would make a cool bumper sticker (someone could do that?).

--------------------

Paladin181
Member # 833

Class 1, Design Variant CC, new fancy "Curling Rock" styled nacelles, thinner lower hull, shorter spinal hull, cage/drydock moved further aft, nacelles in new "shafted x" pattern stemming from spinal hull for increased integrity, and folding mechanism stricken (albeit enjoyed by the designer).
I'm not sure I want to connect the nacelles to the cage or exactly how to do it and still keep symmetry and ship integrity. And also if the cage expands like it does it would be too difficult to run the neccesary conduits to the nacelles.

**Now Showing Class 1, Design Variant CC 1.5**

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps