Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Phun with Photoshop Multichannel Files (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Phun with Photoshop Multichannel Files
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do alot of two-color print work at my day job, so I've been trying to find ways to stay creative with it.

Duotones are fine and all... but a few months ago, I stumbled onto Multichannel files where you can manipulate each of the two channels individually and come up with some damned cool effects... all for the cost of two color printing.

The downside... no layers. Everything is on one layer, so if you have have to go back and make changes, you have to completely redo the image (mind you I'm still working with 5.5).

Also, the files save as EPS files, like Duotones, so there are some desktop printers that won't print them. PageMaker won't always convert them to PDF's either.

Has anyone else worked with multichannels at all? Got any tips to share?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you save it as an EPS, you should be able to reopen it and convert it (resave) to any file type. Or you can run the EPS through Adobe Distiller and make a PDF (if that was the type you wanted).

You could create multiple channels, use those as "layers," then at the end reduce the channels back down to two. Of course, the image will look different on the screen during this process. You'll really need an understanding in mind of what you want the final version to look like.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm working with two Pantone colors. I'm pretty sure the only way to save images using PMS colors is as an EPS.

*trying*

OK... when I open the EPS and "Save As", it does give me the option to save as a "Single Image PDF". I have no idea if the printer will be able to use that, but our laser printer at work might be able to. It would save me having to take low res screenshots of everything to print out mockups.

I haven't found a good way to use the channels as layers. When I convert the photo to a multichannel file (either by duotoning it first, then switching to multi, or by removing one of the RGB channels and then converting the channels to the PMS colors I want) there's always information on both channels. Moving one channel would screw up the photo.

But wait now... do you mean add a third channel for say, text or whatever, then pulling that channel out at the end? The info would have to go somewhere... hmmm... must try.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I know what you're talking about, but I would have to see some examples to be certain. I have used what used to be called Channel Operations back in the Photoshop 3 days to create reflective chrome effects, 3D effects, and so on before there where layers and many of the controls we take for granted today.

Are you using the application modes (Normal, Multiply, Screen, etc.) on the channels to get your effect? If so, you have a problem.

The effect of differential distribution of halftoning in Doutones is a different animal from the effect you see on screen with Channel Made applications. Yes, you can proof these effects on your 3 or 4 (or 6) color desktop printer, but the effects won't work in 2 spot colors.

I will post images later if this is the problem you are having.

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No, I'm not using the application modes on the channels. Basically, I get the photo down to two channels either by 1) pulling a channel out of the RGB channels and reassigning the remaining two channels to custom PMS colors, or 2) converting the photo to greyscale, converting it to a Duotone using the two PMS colors I want to use, then converting it to a multichannel file which then retains those two colors as its separate channels.

After I've got it into a two channel Multichannel file, I'll play with the levels and curves of each channel to get the mix that I want. That's about all I do. You can also play with the sharpness of each channel and apply various effects to each channel seperatly, but that makes the images look pretty weird and I work for a pretty conservative place.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Then what you have here is still, effectively, a Duotone, just done in a different way. Indeed, save it as an EPS, specify the Pantone colors for each channel, and that will work fine.

Alternatively, you can do the assembly in Quark XPress or Adobe Indesign. Alter the image as before, making all adjustments and effects. Save out each channel as a seperate grayscale image, same size and resolution. Import both images into identically placed picture boxes, specify the correct Pantone color and halftone screen angle for each, and set the upper image to Overprint. Remember to test proof your color seperations.

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well... ok. Let me explain. I've been working with multichannels for a little while and am not having problems getting them to the printer in a workable form. I was just asking more along the lines of "Does anyone know any neat ways to do cool stuff with them?"

The coolest thing I've discovered is that if you yank one of the color channels, then reassign the remaining two the right pantone colors, you can get a darn-close-to-full-color image. It'll look basically like a washed out full color picture. It's pretty cool and will only cost you two colors.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you really want to confuse things print on colored stock. Ikes!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Mmmmmm.... colored stock. I keep promising myself I'm going to find a way to have a job printed on colored paper. Thick, textured, colored paper.

I love printing.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the preferred term now is "African American paper".
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Ok Jesse.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must be some mistake. I see the word "Photoshop" in the thread title, along with "phun", but I see no piccies. [Confused]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It's a technical thread [Smile]

Hold on... I'll see if I can find put some examples up.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

A 16 x 8 wraparound cover using two colors:
 -

A postcard using the same two colors:
 -

And another postcard minus text:
 -

All 3 images were made using the same two pantone colors by adjusting the levels of the channels in various ways.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piccies! Very nice.
There is something about that young Borderline-woman that strikes me as very attractive, I can't put my finger on it.
Yes, I gathered this was a technical thread, it is just so rare to see an entirely abstract Photoshop-discussion, I had to comment on it.

So if the middle image is "Borderline", the first is "ADHD" and last is "depression"?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps