Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3D wip - Atlantic Class Medium Cruiser (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3D wip - Atlantic Class Medium Cruiser
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was mentioned that I should show some of my 3d modeling work here. Since I've started a new project at my Dad's, I thought I'd post it.

This is based on the Niagara Class so far, though the saucer is completely round, not elliptical.

-

-

-

-

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A test grid line (the inside one)

Does it look right? Too deep? Not deep enough? Width good?

-

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks pretty good.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Thanks

I went forward with the grids:

-

Good? Bad? Other?

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Ambassidor style paint job:
 -

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niiiice!
I know this is just starting out but I'd tone down the contrast in colors though: a more subtle paint scheme adds to the illusion of scale.

You placing the phasers in the same positions as the Niagra?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Thanks, as for the colours, I've got new RGP values provided to me by someone who is doing a model of the Enterprise-C:
 -

I haven't set anything in stone yet with reguard to the phasers, but I will do something with a few smaller strips rather than a single large one, likely simmilar to the Niagara

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like those Ambassador-era ships with those weird reversed bridge domes like the Freedom or the Niagara. And I have to agree, the new color is way better than the bright blue.
A minor note: the Niagara saucer has a larger grid; eight lines across the hull, separating it into 16 triangles, and (not counting the outer rim circle) 3 circles. [Smile]

How do you want to proceed? Does it get a secondary hull? (And, since it was obviously cool in the early to mid-24th century to built ships with uneven numbers of nacelles, how many does it get? [Smile] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the ship is really small, I'd shrink the name and registry a bit. It looks quite large.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Aban- shrink it by to about 75%.
That'll give you more room to work with the lifeboats and phasers as well.

As to panel lines. I think it looks good as it is- the Amby has twice that many and the Niagra only half, so this is a nice mid-range.

Small random panels with only a slight color shading diffrence would add to the scle as well: mabye only a 2% darker rectangle placed randomly.
quote:
Thanks, as for the colours, I've got new RGP values provided to me by someone who is doing a model of the Enterprise-C:
Those are studio model colors: the onscreen look is very subdued and Enterprise C actually looked more of a gray color onscreen than blue.
THe studio models look pretty garish in person (Enterprise D looking almost aqua-green) but the blue tones are to offset the studio lights so the ship looks gray onscreen.

Here's a couple of models to illustrate what I'm trying (badly) to say:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1227830&uid=657989
http://starshipmodeler.org/gallery6/cf_enterprisec5.jpg
http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery8/aw_henry5.jpg

A nice alternate paint scheme:
http://www.culttvman.com/assets/images-STAR_TREK-2003/wsnyderemega02.jpg

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I think this might end up looking like what I believe the Niagara class originally looked like back with numbers in the 20000's. A round saucer instead of an ellipse and Ambassador class nacelles instead of Galaxy class nacelles.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Yikes, that text IS huge isn't it. I'm used to working with smaller ships.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

-
better?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now it looks too small making the bridge/shuttlebay superstructure look way too large.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps