Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3D wip - Atlantic Class Medium Cruiser (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3D wip - Atlantic Class Medium Cruiser
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Size of the saucer next to an Excelsior scaled saucer:
 -

My saucer is as long as the Niagara saucer is supposed to be according to EAS. If the font is off again... well oops.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
idea for the neck:
 -
 -
 -

I'm currently working at my Dad's, and his system can't handle very much in Max (and its running Windows 98) so I'm using low poly placeholders for the saucer stuff, also the neck is rather underdone at this point, but its just concept modeling.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye you could put a small secondary impulse engine at the back of the B-C deck for emergency saucer seperation?

Or the much-needed aft torpedo launcher (coverage in the aft quarters of the Amby and Niagria is lacking).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I don't know about torpedoes up there... armed torpedoes or not I don't like the idea of explosives near the bridge. One target up there is quite enough [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree but the ship's really undefended along her dorsal aft (unless you stick phaser strips on the top of the nacelles like the Venture has).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I may put an aft launcher in the secondary hull
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye in the undercut (asuming you're planning one).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Well, I've read they're good for warp field efficiency [Big Grin]
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Took out the neck, wasn't likeing it.

Here is an idea for the begining of the secondary hull
 -
 -

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

New Neck:
 -
 -

Bottom Pannels Done:
 -
 -

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If you plan on using more of a Ambassador secondary hull, the rear of the saucer would rest directly on the "spine" of the secondary hull while the deflector would slope downward- nessitating a neckpiece about a third as long as an Amby's to connect the hulls.

My WIP at this point: http://members.aol.com/HAT1701Works/JasonCaldwell_DryDock_01.html

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Well, as I've said, its not exactly the same ship remember [Wink]

I've also never got the downfaceing deflector, since most of the ship is above it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, I know....have you cnsidered using the secondary hul from Probert's "Ambassador" painting? The one the wall sculpture in the lounge on Enterprise D was based on.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I've considdered a more modern secondary hull style, but I'm not certan my modeling abilities would be able to produce one of quality, getting a cylindrical hull is easy with the Lathe, but I'd have to put alot more work into something more complicated. Don't count the idea out, but I'm not sure I can do it yet.

On another note, Lower Saucer Painted:
 -

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador's deflector doesn't point downward, the dish is simply angled. The machinery behind the deflector dish is actually pointed straight ahead. Look at the MSD of the Ent-D or Voyager. They too have a downward sloping dish, but the deflector is still pointing straight forward.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps