Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pointer-class 5-view (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pointer-class 5-view
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a quick down-and-dirty first draft of my take on Rick Sternbach's Pointer Class from the SFC.

Any comments?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/Pointerbw.gif

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Pointer Sisters gag here somewhere. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I think the nacelles should be bigger though. And it needs an N? class name if it's Enterprise era [Smile]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good.

Although it is very different from how I imagined the Pointer looked. I had a very clunky boxy ship in mind, as opposed to your almost aerodynamic design.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, concerning the nacelles, I'm limited by the fact that on Sternbach's dorsal view, no nacelles are visible, which means they must be entirely hidden by the fuselage, attached to the undercarriage. I made them as big as I could, given that.

I went through many incarnations of the Pointer before I settled on this one. I think if I had read Timo's starship guide before I finished it, I might have even added that command sail he mentioned! LOL

As far as its design, it shares much with the Iceland class, because they were supposed to be built around the same decade. So, warp nacelles and impulse engines, bridge module (65% of the Iceland's size) are all borrowed in one way or another from the Iceland.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
Well, concerning the nacelles, I'm limited by the fact that on Sternbach's dorsal view

I guess I didn't realize this was from a ship for which artwork already existed. Though I guess if I had read all of your initial post, I wouldn't have been confused [Smile] Do you have a link to Sternbach's art?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool. Love to see Pre-Enterprise stuff.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a bit of trouble finding Sternbach's original drawing. Any chance of showing it to us?

Cool ship, BTW.

B.J.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, Irishman!
What are those tubes (and winglets?) at the upper rear of the starboard profile? I don't see them on the dorsal view.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I saw those too. The 'tube' is actually the impulse engine from the side, and that 'winglet' is a gridline running over the wing.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Irishman
Member # 1188

Harry,

You're right. [Smile]

I haven't found a good way to terminate the forward end of the impulse deck. I could let the upper hull just come back more level and form a protective cowling (like on the Iceland-class), or let it stand as is.

Ideas?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I'm not familliar with the original art- something from the Chronology?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/spacechron/22ndcentury04.jpg

Look in the upper-right corner.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a TOS version of the Bajoran freighter.

Pretty imaginative take on it Irishman!

I'd keep the non symetrical design elements of the original- it adds something unique to the design: there's some offset circular thing just starboard of the bridge and two small things towards the rear as well.

Those details could be recessed panels like on SW ships as well....
Mabye a large refueling hatch. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps