Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Excelsior class lifeboat system (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Excelsior class lifeboat system
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I've had in my head for a while, and finally got around to doing it.

**WARNING - NON-CANON SPECULATION AHEAD**

First, the picture:
excelsior-lifeboat.gif (130k)

This depicts the lifeboat system that has been retrofitted into the Excelsior class starships in the 24th century. Starfleet didn't require lifeboats until then, because before that, the possibility of rescue by another starship was extremely remote. One of the reasons the Constitution was retired was because it was extremely difficult to fit lifeboats into its spaceframe. The Miranda, Constellation and Oberth classes had relatively large, easy to access shuttlebays, so they were stocked with the type of lifeboat seen on the Saratoga at Wolf 359. The Excelsior, however, does not have this luxury, but a solution had to be found since the spaceframes were still extremely useful. The outer hull of a starship has far too many integrated systems like SIF generators and deflector shield emitters to be punching new holes in it for lifeboats. So the accepted solution was to install lifeboats under panels that were retrofitted with explosive bolts and an ejection system (similar to the later Defiant class). Then the lifeboats would be free to launch.

C&C anyone?

B.J.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for a start the Excelsiors did have escape pods in the 23rd Century, at least the E-B did. It shows them on the MSD, presumably under blow off sections of the outer hull.
Good graphic though.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always how I assumed it worked. Nice work.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy that older ships wouldn't have some sort of escape vehicle, though. Alive > dead, and the first time a ship without any blows up just a few days before rescue arrives, or inside a star system with an even marginally inhabitable planet, or in a combat situation where everyone else is too busy trying not to be blown up themselves to retrieve survivors right away, whoever made that decision is going to be exceedingly unpopular.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd keep that hull panel attached to the lifeboats for atmospheric re-entry.
Plus it makes the ejection process far less complicated and less likely to cluster-fuck in an emergency.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, those hull plates SHOULD be pretty tough and make good protection for the explosion of a nearby ship, or atmospheric entry. there's really no reason not to keep the hull plate attached.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protection from re-entry? I don't think ANY Trek vessel has really used a heat shield before. I'd figure that even escape pods would have basic forcefields and SIF capabilities to protect from jostling and bumping on the way down. Given that most Trek designs are as aerodynamic as a stick of celery, I'm guessing that the escape pods are intrinsically designed to surive little things like atmospheres.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would venture that instead of having a blow-away hatch, it would have a swing-open hatch like we've seen on Voyager or the Defiant. That way, the pods could be recovered and safely stored away in case the danger passes and the ship survives or whatever.

Plus, we have seen escape pods on the refit Enterprise plus mention of their existence on the NX-01. I would assume all would be deployed and recovered in very similar ways.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lifeboats do exist since the NX Project... Automated Survival and Retrieval Vehicles's came into existance within the 2350's... at least that's what I'm thinking after reading the ST: TNG Tech Manual.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what is the difference between a lifeboat/escape pod and an ASRV, anyways?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im thinking a ASRV is a lifeboat retrival ship that picks up lifeboats.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thoght the ASRV's just followed Oberths and Steamrunners- about a week behind- awaiting the inevitable.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, ASRVs *are* lifeboats, no? The terminology just changed. What may be confusing everyone is that the ASRVs in the TNGTM were first installed on the last Renaissance class starship. Thus, the pods on the Galaxy class are not a brand-new design. Subsequent ships (Voyager and Defiant among them) have been seen using a completely different ASRV than that seen in the TNGTM, and are noted as such in the DS9TM IIRC. The Sovereign class uses yet another escape pod design, which (like many things Eaves) makes little sense, being supposedly upside down...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That or perhaps the ASRV's are able to be reintegrated back in the ship after it is deployed. Unlike say the USS Saratoga's lifeboat/escape pod which is launched from the shuttlebay.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Sorry, double post.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps