Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Excelsior class lifeboat system (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Excelsior class lifeboat system
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the main distinguishing feature that set ASRV's apart is the supposed 'Gaggle Mode' where they can all link together to await rescue.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I haven't replied yet, been taking care of a sick wife...

Anyway, I had forgotten about the E-B MSD, but my graphic seems to fit with that fairly well.

Dat, can you tell me when they mentioned lifeboats on the NX-01?

The design of the lifeboat in my sketch is based mostly on the one shown in Mr. Scott's Guide, with a couple of elements from the Galaxy class one thrown in.

B.J.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could recall the specific episode or the events of the episode, but I believe it to be either a second or third season episode.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather think the distinguishing feature of the ASRVs is that they are called ASRVs. That is, all these things are collectively known as escape pods. Starfleet or the manufacturer just applies some yucky NASA-lingo on them in order to appear cool, and as a side effect, one can sometimes tell the different escape pod models apart by their acronyms, or guess the vintage of the designation.

I tend to agree that all Earth starships throughout history have had lifeboats, for reasons of tradition if not for anything else - pragmatic logic will have nothing to do with this. True, a lifepod on a NX class vessel should be classified as a torture device if its only function is to prolong the quite inevitable death of the crew in inhumanly cramped conditions. But that argument won't sway Starfleet from installing the devices anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The Sovereign class uses yet another escape pod design, which (like many things Eaves) makes little sense, being supposedly upside down...

Ah, but only the lifeboats on the upper hull are upside down. The lucky crewmembers get to escape in the lower saucer boats...dizziness averted!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the lifeboat has artificail gravity, there'd only me a moment of vertigo when gettin into it.

You'd think a ship as large as a Soverign would have used it's shuttles when evacuating the ship: the survivors would still need transportation (and possibly armed air support) on whatever planet they're stranded on.

Mabye the shutlebay was Borg-ified when we saw the evac in First Contact...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Picard said they couldn't get to a shuttle bay at some point during the movie. Also, the thing with using shuttles is that, in theory, the require preflight operations. They have engines that have to be dealt with correctly, etc. If you've got a minute before the big boom, you don't want to be dinking around. You want to jump into the pod, push a button, and be seeing the ship getting smaller a couple seconds later.

But, given time, you're right. Having some shuttles around would be handy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had gotten the impression the difference between ASRVs and older lifeboats was that the ASRV was a fully autonomous spacecraft. It could maneuver under its own power, navigate, even return to the parent ship. The older lifeboats were more of an enclosed ejection seat. They might have some reaction control thrusters, but it's still a one-way trip.

As for heat shields, it sure looked to me like the boats in First Contact had them.

You're artwork's really nice, B.J., but I'm not going to go along with the idea that 23rd century ships didn't have any kind of lifeboat.

Marian

This random sig quote is brought to you by a website copyright notice:
"No commersial porpoise for this site is intended or cordoned"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps