Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 23rd Century Cardassian Concepts

Author Topic: 23rd Century Cardassian Concepts
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I got the idea in my head to do some work on a TOS era Cardassian ship, but I though I'd create a logo first, since the Cardassians tend to build their ships like the logo.
 -

This is where I am with the ship so far:
 -

(I warn you, I'm VERY new to Illustrator)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm....good start.

The rocket nozzle-thing on the tail looks pretty odd.
Have you tried extending the nacelles (longer and back) along the "blades"? I think it's look more retro to not have the nacelles inboard.
You could add on turretts where the weapons emplacments on a Galor are located (blade-tips, tail) and a squared-off TOS dish to the front....

You could even incorperate some Bajoran design elements this far back: they were trading partners after all, back then.
You could make the symbol less aggressive as well: back then the military was not in control of the government. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Hmmmmm....good start.

The rocket nozzle-thing on the tail looks pretty odd.
Have you tried extending the nacelles (longer and back) along the "blades"? I think it's look more retro to not have the nacelles inboard.

I was thinking of having the warp drive in the bottom of the ship, but now that you mention it, the older ships tend to have the nacelles away from the hull due to danger...

quote:
You could add on turretts where the weapons emplacments on a Galor are located (blade-tips, tail)

Definatly some kind of turrets (as well as maybe a forward fireing weapon, all the TOS ships seemed to have them) will be on this ship

quote:
and a squared-off TOS dish to the front....

Kinda what I was going for with that pointy thing in the front...

quote:
You could even incorperate some Bajoran design elements this far back: they were trading partners after all, back then.
You could make the symbol less aggressive as well: back then the military was not in control of the government. [Wink]

I haven't been able to find specific information online, but around when would the military have taken over?

Thanks for the feedback

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it is implied that Cardassia was militarized several generations prior to the then modern day. Sometimes it is implied that it occured during the childhood of various characters. (Gul O'Brien from the Picard torture episode for instance. ((GET IT??)))

At least, I seem to remember both kinds of implications, with no specific date ever given, though I think the latter references outweigh the former. I don't recall anything about them being trading partners with Bajor, though, though I suppose they could have, and the reference slipped from my memory. I don't think there's much said about either Bajoran or Cardassian life prior to the Occupation, really.

[In case Big Shot Enterprise Executives are reading this from their tastefully decorated offices: 22nd century Cardassians would sure be neat.]

Re: the ship: I think it would be neater if you deviated a bit more from the norm. Perhaps make the wings longer. Or something. I guess, aside from the color scheme, this just doesn't look different enough from a Galor, for me.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking, B5 got a lot of, uh, historicity by just rolling Minbari ships by ninety degrees. Perhaps a similiar design distortion would work here? Like, for instance, instead of a long ship with stubby wings, a big wing with a sort of built up head and then a narrow tail out behind?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rutger Warrink has designed some nice old-style Cardie ships. Search for Warrink and Cardassian.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rutger Warrink has designed some nice old-style Cardie ships. Search for Warrink and Cardassian.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how do you double-post 16 minutes apart? [Big Grin]

It's been a long time since I've heard Rutger's name, and he had some impressive artwork. Unfortunately, I've looked and it's near impossible to find his originals, especially since he lost interest in Trek altogether.

As for the Cardassian ship, maybe once you get some more detail in there it will look better, but right now it's not standing out for me. I wish I could give some more constructive criticism, but not many people have sucessfully tackled a new Cardassian ship. Maybe a side view (even if it's not very detailed yet) to help show us how you're making it different from the Galor?

B.J.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
So, how do you double-post 16 minutes apart? [Big Grin]

I'm old and slow.

--------------------

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wildstorm Comic "Enter the Wolves" features Cardassians from the post-TUC/pre-Occupation era. On the cover is a Cardassian vessel from that time. (Unfortunately they were too lazy to create new uniforms for the Cardassians)

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's basically a Hideki with a smaller tail.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...that's just a poorly realized Hefiki from the rear.
Good art on the characters though they could have easily used the TNG cardassian uniforms for a "retro" look.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps