Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » What would you put in an updated TOS Technical Manual? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What would you put in an updated TOS Technical Manual?
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sitting at breakfast this morning thinking about how bad Franz Joseph's kitbashes look, especially as fill-outs for the 23rd century Fed fleet. There were so many things either changed in TOS production for cost reasons or technical reasons that either showed up in TMP, or as in the case of Probert's original Enterprise shuttle concept, NEVER got added.

Ignoring anything from FJ and from FASA, but taking into account new ST canon (including "Enterprise"), how would you create a cool new Technical Manual?

Note: By cool and new I don't mean simply recreating the original Constitution-class using ENT tech and visuals. For example, I think we can assume that the TMP Enterprise is what the producers wanted detail-wise in the TOS Enterprise. Go from there. Likewise, I think we can say that the K'tinga warship is the same for the Klingons.

Make sense?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bikini shots of Yeoman Rand.
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban, c'mon LOL

It's CHRISTMAS, for Sagan's sake! [Smile]

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Bikini shots of Yeoman Rand.

NOT from TMP- on though!
That would be a horror.....

I'd include all the great TOS ships Reverend (and everyone else I cant recall as I'm a bit numb just now) have made here on Flare, the Enterprise-era ships (of course) and possibly the ships from TAS (as rendered by Rev and the gang).

I'd at least consider adding additional details to the Tholian ship to more closely resemble the Ent version and the hull plating on the D-7 shown in Trials and Tribulations.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

Good ideas, Jason. I'd want the most definitive data possible. What do we KNOW, for example about the E-nil? Size? crew compliments? Number of decks? Deck height? Who makes the best blueprints and deck plans of it?

Etc, etc.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
NOT from TMP- on though!
That would be a horror.....

I'd include all the great TOS ships Reverend (and everyone else I cant recall as I'm a bit numb just now) have made here on Flare, the Enterprise-era ships (of course) and possibly the ships from TAS (as rendered by Rev and the gang).

I'd at least consider adding additional details to the Tholian ship to more closely resemble the Ent version and the hull plating on the D-7 shown in Trials and Tribulations.

Ha ha, top of the pile!
Take that Masao and Harry!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want an to know why the short skirts and high go-go boots were needed for female officers.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bbbtttttthhhhhpppp!

You are all on my Richard Nixon-style enemies list!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be awesome to see an updated TOS technical manual that would include some of the ships from TAS to make it complete. I know that Rev, Harry, and Masao have done a great job rendering such ships and shuttles as well as logos from that era. It would be neat to see the Armored shuttle as well as the Long-Range shuttle seen from some of the animated episodes, but they are unique and interesting designs.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
and the hull plating on the D-7 shown in Trials and Tribulations.
Isn't the D7 that was in that Voayager-ep (with the sleeping Delta Quad-klingons who hallowed Torres) a more updated model than DS9's "Trials..."?

I believe we got more zoom-in shots of the modern D7 in that episode, as we saw it fire torpies from its mouth, a thing not seen since ST:TMP.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
It's CHRISTMAS, for Sagan's sake! [Smile]

You mean the Roman festival of the Sun Christianized to convert Romans in the third century? I prefer Yeoman Rand (yes, the TOS version).
Irishman
Member # 1188

Aban, yes, I mean Saturnalia. [Smile]

Sarvek, some of us HATE the idea of considering TAS ships. Perhaps I should have put them on the verboten list with FJ and FASA.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
Jason:
quote:
and the hull plating on the D-7 shown in Trials and Tribulations.
Isn't the D7 that was in that Voayager-ep (with the sleeping Delta Quad-klingons who hallowed Torres) a more updated model than DS9's "Trials..."?

I believe we got more zoom-in shots of the modern D7 in that episode, as we saw it fire torpies from its mouth, a thing not seen since ST:TMP.

Honestly, I have no idea.
That was among the Voyager episodes I skipped when I became overly sick of the show (later, I went back to it but never caught up on the ones I missed).

I'd love to see a screencap though!
I dont know of anyone (even here!) that's been buying all the Voyager seasons on DVD. [Confused]

Masao and Harry: Sorry for omitting you: blame it on Percocet. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I want an to know why the short skirts and high go-go boots were needed for female officers.

Morale.....er...I guess you could think of that guy that played Legolas whenever you see rand and get the same idea. [Big Grin]

Sarvek, some of us HATE the idea of considering TAS ships. Perhaps I should have put them on the verboten list with FJ and FASA. [/QB][/QUOTE]
If you're ditching FASA's stuff, you have to omit the terrible SFB designs as well, for Saturn's sake!

FASA really did have acouple of decent TOS designs though- the Loknar in particular.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you all forgetting Timo's Hitchhiker's Guide? That pretty much is all the TOS-tech you'd ever want.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Linky linky?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps