Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » What would you put in an updated TOS Technical Manual? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What would you put in an updated TOS Technical Manual?
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the one on Voyager just a Ktinga
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was stock footage from STVI, from what I understand.

I could be wrong though, I was....once.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stock footage, hmm, yeah.

This is what I got from just the Startrek.com piece of shit .avi file;

-

If anyone has the DVD, I'd very much like to get these screens in bigger versions.

I do believe someone on the bridge described the ship as it decloaked, and I think he/she said D7, getting confused gazes.

The ship is very bright and grey, the K'tingas from TMP and TUC where more brown, bronze-like, if I iirc correctly.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the K'T'inga CGI model from DS9: for starters the impulse engines are on the hull, not the shuttlebay section, it has the nacelle-tip disruptors, the big glowy bits on the nacelles, the torpedo mounted in the head section (the D7 didn't have photon torpedoes)all the tubing and other details on the front of the secondary hull and the backs of the nacelles are clearly the K'T'inga version; oh plus the bridge dome joins the head section like the K'T'inga rather than the D7's bubble-dome.

Paris said it was a D7, but then what does a not-too-bright jock pilot know about century old Klingon warship designations? Real world reason was they didn't have a D7 CGI lying around and someone in charge must have said use the K'T'inga - the fans won't notice. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the K'Tinga is supposed to be a modernized/refit/movie version of the D-7..

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well given that it's never been said that one's a refit of the other, I'd prefer to assume it's a new construction only, the proportions and details are too different. I know the movie Enterprise is supposedly the TOS version refitted but that had to be the same ship because otherwise it wouldn't have been Kirk's Enterprise, with the D7 and K'T'inga there's no such pressure to say they're the same ships as there's no 'famous' D7.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the K'Tinga is supposed to be a modernized/refit/movie version of the D-7..

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the screencaps, Nim!

Definitely one I'd missed.
Got the episode name so I can "aquire" it online?

The ship is obviously the K'Tinga- not the (relativly) undetailed D-7 from either TAT or TOS.

As to the pilot's error on the ship name, he was just a dork or the K'Tinga was refit for the millionths time (like the Miranda and excelsior) and brought into the Dominion War from their- presumably more secure- normal patrol routes within the Klingon Empire.

Did the K'Tinga fire that giant disruptor from the command pod (the one that replaced the equally oversized torpedo from TMP)?

Ug. That second screencap of the K'Tinga is seriously out of sale with Voyager: waaaay too large.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure about this: I distinctly remember the ship from Voyager looking a lot smoother than the "modern" version.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same model was used as on ENT, IIRC, when they couldn't finish the intented proto-battlecruiser model.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless, the sleeper ship did have different nacelle glows and definitely different photon torpedos than the ones firing at DS9 in WotW.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what would a TOS canon (on-screen models in the story)ship list look like? A bunch of Constitution class ships, a D-7, Romulan BoP, a DY-100, and the Fesarius? Do we ever actually see Charlie X's freighter? Or Mudd's freighter for that matter?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Never see the Antares freighter (although there is a cool design for it over at ASDB) or Mudd's ship. Bele's (or was it Loki's?) ship from the "Black and White Cookie Episode" (er LTBYLB) was conveniently invisible also.

The Gorn ship was never seen either.

Also included would be the Tholian ship and the civilian ship Aurora stolen by Dr. Sevron and Co.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herb,

Which Antares? I did a google search of Antares and ASDB and only found TNG stuff.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie Evans traveled aboard the Antares. Okuda gave it NCC-501 or something.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps