Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Titan design contest gets thumbs-up (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Titan design contest gets thumbs-up
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several directions to take it - since it's a "next generation" (no pun intended) design, it could be a logical outgrowth of the Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, or Sovereign class "looks", a blend of two or more, or something completely different. I'm willing to wager that the completely different mindset will capture their attention more than a cut and paste design - and I'm sure that Pocket will get lots of them.

The only problem here is that there isn't likely to be a very iterative design process in this contest. Maybe Masao can enlighten us here, but I'm guessing that they'll take all the submissions, choose the best one, and then send it over to Doug (or their resident art guys) to make it into a CGI. We get credit for the initial design, they make it gold with only minor changes. We'll have to have a proper iterative process in place before we proceed too far.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do they bandy around the word "quadrant" so much!?! 1/4 of the galaxy destablised by a fragmented Romulan Star Empire? Hmm.

Long-range explorer? 4 nacelles anyone? Wasn't the bit on the Pathfinder having four nacelles about long distance - or was that rather for short distances faster/maintaining a higher warp longer?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latter: the modified Pathfinder was supposed to be two twin-nacelled ships merged into one, and running their engines alternately...

Somehow I think that what the jury will be looking for is a standard vanilla starship that lacks any and all tech gimmicks but has a distinct "look". That is, a new shape for the primary hull, a new design for the nacelles, and perhaps a new way to merge the primary and secondary hulls, but nothing fancy beyond that.

Venturing down the "strange sharp-angled cutouts in a slightly distorted saucer" path of late is one possibility. Another would be go for something super-smooth for a change. I'd love to do something very utilitarian, to reflect the postwar depression (multiple pylons supporting blocky nacelles, primary hull hanging down below the level of the engineering section; a really mean "18-wheeler" look), but that would mean deliberate uncoolness, which doesn't win any points.

Timo Saloniemi

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, folks, here's the deal. Our illustrious leader Mr. Capps has graciously provided a private forum for the Titan contest, and I have been once again temporarily promoted to Admin to grant people access to it.

Those who want in, please post here, as my PM is still rather full at the moment. Only members who have been here at Flare for some time will be given permission to enter to prevent perfect strangers from ripping off designs.

From what I've read in this thread, it doesn't look as though collaborative entries will be allowed (But somebody should outright ask the appropriate person or persons just to be sure). Although I don't think anybody here would be so boldly evil as to rip off someone else's design, post designs at your own risk.

The purpose of the private forum is to give those who can't/won't enter this contest a chance to critique the designs of those who are, and to ensure a wide variety of entries are submitted to increase the probability that one of us Flareites will hit upon what the judges are looking for and win.

That is all.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises hand*

Thanks, man.

Mark

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Access granted.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I may not say much, I would like access if just to critique the various designs and to make the occasional suggestion.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Access granted.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, I may not be able to contribute much in terms of actual artwork, but I would like access to critique and look at the pretty pictures! [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like o contribute ideas and possibly art or a model.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

For the record, I'm an idea man as well. I can sketch stuff well enough, but have no real skill at finalized art. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done and done.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: Designing Vanguard station was a bit different, since it was a commission job, not a contest. I got some instructions before starting from Marco Palmieiri (sort of like the contest guidelines), but then got feedback and suggestions every time I sent in some new drawings. So, yes, the process was iterative.

Since I'm currently a resident of Japan, I won't be entering (and don't know shit about modern starships), but I'd like access to the forum anyway!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a professional graphic artist and have been here for about six years.

Please let me in? [Embarrassed] )

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Permissions accomplished.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps