Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Liberty and Diogenes classes

Author Topic: Liberty and Diogenes classes
Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the Diogenes class transport/tug, a pre-TOS forerunner to the Ptolemy class:

And here's the Liberty class, a pre-TOS cruiser and ancestor of the Constitution class:

----------

The Starship Encyclopedia

------------------

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diogenes class? Wow. Is there a USS Socrates and a USS Parmenides too?

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, they're nice.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laz1701: So you're the one who created all those nifty starship graphics which are being used on hundreds of websites. I found your very website not long ago and thought this must be the origin. I wonder why no one thinks it's necessary to credit you.

Can it be I have first seen your images about 5 years ago? It was before I bought the Encyclopedia I. I learned from your images the names of the Miranda and the Oberth class, and this, along with an early fleet listing by D.J Creighton was my incentive to intensively care about starships. Thank you!

I noted you have updated the Freedom, Niagara and New Orleans lately. It's nice to see all the ships (even the ugly ones) in a uniform style.

------------------
"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!" (Scotty, TOS: "A Taste of Armageddon")
Ex Astris Scientia

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I credit Laz. My original site credited him, but when I redesigned it, somehow the crediting was lost. However, Laz sent me an email asking me to credit him and now I do. There is even a link on my main page to his site.

------------------
All hands, brace for impact!
WHAM!!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why does no one except for Fabrux credit you? As I said, I found your site occasionally.
Laz1701
Ex-Member

Actually, my website has been around for less than a year. Most of the early drawings were first featured in the Starship Encyclopedia program (for Macs only) that John T. Moltz and I made almost five years ago and originally released on AOL. Some of the ships from that program showed up on the web, and that's probably where you first saw them.

Last year, I decided to update the program, but when I decided to include many more ships than I originally intended, I decided to put the whole thing on the web instead of distributing it as a Mac-only program. Of course, putting it on the web has resulted in a mass proliferation of the ships all over the web.

Laz1701
Ex-Member

What I really find interesting and amusing is where some of my designs have ended up. For example, the Korolev featured here is based on the design I did for the Korolev almost five years ago. In fact, at that time, I came up with designs for most of the canon ships that had no actual designs. These include the Deneva, Wambundu, Andromeda, Istanbul, Surak, Merced, Mediterranean, Springfield, Yorkshire, Sequoia, Chimera, and Bradbury. All the designs featured on my site for these classes were created by me, while John T. Moltz did the designs for the Antares and Hokule'a.

Eventually, I'm going to create an index for my site which will indicate where each class and design came from. For example, there are canon ships with canon designs, canon ships with my own conjectural designs, non-canon ships from tech fandom with published designs, non-canon ships from tech fandom with my own conjectural designs, non-canon ships whose class and design were created by people on the web, and non-canon ships whose class and design were both created by me. It can get confusing.

----------

The Starship Encyclopedia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps