Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Miranda Class - My take on it (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Miranda Class - My take on it
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about it recently and none of the TOS era Miranda predesessors out there really match what I see in my mind when I think of a TOS version of the ship. Usually close, but not all the way.

Lately the novel Vanguard: Harbinger featured a ship that was called a Miranda Class (as oppsed to another class name as others have done in the past) in the TOS era, so I've desided to show what I think a TOS Miranda might have looked like.

I know it might not agree with your ideas, but I'm not trying to prove someone else wrong, I'm just showing what I think

-

Now, what do you think? More views coming soon.

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure, but, shouldn't be visible whole nacelles from the top? It's in some Roddenberry's rules of starship designs, but I'm not sure, where to find them right now.

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice...hmmm.....

Mabye ring the deflector/sensor dish things in some (about half that length?).

It'd be intreting to see those TOS-era deflector thingies on outrigger pods like the Saratoga (as the red X-Wing scoop thingies on the Saratoga vaguely resemble the TOS deflector/sensor thingie).

You gonna treat us to side, fore and aft views?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by omi:
I'm not sure, but, shouldn't be visible whole nacelles from the top? It's in some Roddenberry's rules of starship designs, but I'm not sure, where to find them right now.

1. There's no rule that say the nacelles must be completely visible from the top. Remember the Miranda as first seen in ST2 was like this and the movie was made while Roddenberry was still alive.

2. The rules were that the front of the nacelles must be compleley visible as seen facing directly aft, the nacelles must have complete sight of each other, and that nacelles must be in pairs.

3. The rules ahve long since been violated, disregarded, and thrown away.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, thanx.

I know they were violated, but don't think in TOS era. Or I'm wrong again?

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saladin/Hermes was spotted on displays in TWOK, so they technically exist.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
[QUOTE]3. The rules ahve long since been violated, disregarded, and thrown away.

Much like Gene himself. [Big Grin]

I think that the deflector grid is a bit...too detailed?
Were there that many grid lines on the new Enterprise model from TAT?

Minor tweak though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to rain on everyone's collective parade, but it does look pretty much identical to every other TOS Miranda anyone's ever designed. I mean, there's only so much variation one can have on a given theme.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I'm not saying I've come up with something totally new or anything. But I've not seen many with the torpedo pod or my take on deflector placement.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't there be some windows in those 'vertical' sections on the "engineering hull" section - that faces forward - where the Deflectors come out.

Maybe the Saratoga was a partially converted TOS design?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain, I like what you've done so far. Show us some other views ASAP so we can judge better for you.

The lack of a recognizable deflector on the TWOK Miranda-class was always a big deal to me. I just felt comfortable with the conclusion that the deflector was there, it was just in an unrecognizable form. Now, you've given us our deflector(s) back. Bravo!

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

At least SOMEone likes it...

I started on a side view, but I've been busy with school and spending a day at the Emergancy Room with what turned out to be a pulled muscle.

So yeah, its not much to write home about yet, but I thought I'd post something to let you all know that I was still here.

-

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your muscle is doing better. But maybe if you're laid up in bed, you can use that as an excuse to draw more.

So, I too would be interested in seeing more views. I do like the placement of the deflectors, though, like Jason, I think they could benefit from being more nestled into the non-saucer hull. I suspect you could come up with something more for that rollbar to give the design a little more bite. As you know, I do have a vested interest in seeing what you come up with. (to steal... [Wink] )

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

incedently, both sitting and laying in bed weren't the most comfortable places to be and I can't draw worth a damn. [Wink]

More work will be forthcoming. I'd do a bit now, but the files aren't on this computer.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

-

Did a front view, the side was giving me trouble.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps