Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Okuda's next LCARS iteration (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Okuda's next LCARS iteration
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If people have this much problems with some different uniforms in a non-canon game, maybe Trek is doomed...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek fans having Weird Problems with Star Trek is, you know, not unprecedented.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologise. This just seems to be a large case of over-reacting to me. I just can't see a good reason to compleatly reject the game over pre-production images.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple. The inductive thought chain runs something like this: "If they did that bad a job on something as seemingly simple as uniforms, how badly are they going to rape the rest of the premise/concept/universe?" with a subtext of "Did they do this out of ignorance (bad enough) or deliberate disregard (a.k.a. 'Bragaism�' -- very, very bad)?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, (and here's where things start getting really insane) maybe the uniforms really aren't bad at all.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*flat stare*

Riiiiight.

Aside from the fact that from a costume designer's point-of-view, I think they're ass, they also don't fit too well between the First Contact-style uniforms of the 2370s and the "All Good Things..."-style uniforms of the 2400s.

I call it "intellectual laziness". Rather than see what he could do to create more variation (and customizationable-ness) within the established uniforms of the era in question, he started from scratch and who cares if there was already something there. *pff* Storytelling using that same approach is what turned me off to Enterprise -- rather than figure out a way around the continuity problems, the execs just stuck their fingers in their ears and said 'la-la-la' really loudly.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, obviously both Enterprise and this game should be treating minor continuity points as their highest priority.

(It's 2001 all again! Woo!)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe they'll call it "alternative ST universe", but who cares, this is not the Roddenberry's future vision, it's war, it brings more profits (do they really think so, maybe they do, after DS9) let's change everything from the beginning.

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
War! To the Mobile Infantry, recruits!
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Not everyone is a costume designer though. Just because they made one bad choice, doesn't mean they will make more. Besides, a game is made by many people, the guys responcible for the costumes will likely have little to do with the gameplay.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...they also don't fit too well between the First Contact-style uniforms of the 2370s and the 'All Good Things...'-style uniforms of the 2400s."

Of course, the FC uniforms didn't fit too well between the TNG or DS9 uniforms and the AGT uniforms. But, hey, who's counting?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Point to you. I still haven't warmed to the FC uniforms and their derivatives. Actually, I prefer what we've seen of the "All Good Things...", "The Visitor", and "Endgame" era's uniforms (although I'd prefer better tailoring).

--Jonah

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I never watched an episode of TNG after it was clear their blasphemous switching of red and gold indicated a deep hatred of everything Star Trek stands for.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr....so when was that exactly?
Sometime in seventh season?

It might be possible to tone-down these comic book costumes into functional uniforms, but it really loses a lot of the Trek "feel" that is the real lure to the games (as exploring and making first contacts, then setteling endless squabbles and border disputes would probably not be a big hit with the onling gaming community).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring back the "budgie smuggler" uniforms of TMP! [Smile] LOL!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps