Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Okuda's next LCARS iteration (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Okuda's next LCARS iteration
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah- the car radios on the waist were really swell.

Though, if it means more jiggling boobies, I'm for it.

Er....jiggling boobies on the female actors!
I soo dont need to see out of shape actors bouncing as they run or whatever.
(thus the reason for Scotty's Michilen Man radiation suit is revealed).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Okuda can work on their "new" LCARS, maybe they can ask Robert Blackman to design some more suitable uniforms ala Trek.

I know that if the uniforms are not great, the gameplay can be still magnificant, but LCARS looks different too, and that is sign to expect changes in the other thinks too.

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you can get Robert Blackman to design uniforms, I can get Nicole Blackman to write the dialogue.

At least the goth kids will join up.....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, er, I don't know about the canonicity of the costumes or whatever, but I expect the question becomes whether you like them. And my answer is that I do. I think they look neat.

I don't think I like the new blackNblue LCARS, though. It's not really very colorful and I mean OS X looks about 5 times more complex/interesting. Not that it looks terrible. I'm just... not a fan.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is considered necro-posting or what, since this thread is on Page 2... ah well.

It's been a long time since I've posted on this board, but I ran across this thread and figured I can chime in with some experience here.

I think the nitpickers in this thread are overlooking one very important factor - this is an MMO. If there's one specific thing that players of MMOs are demanding more and more is more character diversity (no more dozens of identical elves or whatever circa Everquest).

As a player of City of Heroes and City of Villains, I can speak from authority in a game that has done it right. Those two games have a nearly endless number of options for costumes and it's absolutely fantastic. For characters playing Starfleet officers, you can't change the coloring (at least of department) and the base color of the uniform will probably be standard as well, so it demands a lot of 'accessorising'.

And if you expect them to be able to properly do that with the standard uniform in use in Trek now... there's no way in hell they can do it. Trek uniforms in all the shows were designed as very form-fitting, shapeless affairs intended to keep the characters looking very svelte in their backgrounds. But having such a restrained design ethic would ruin this game from the get go.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which I think was one of the points - Trek doesn't seem to lend itself to this medium.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather enjoy the LCARS, a bit jagged, sure, but just seeing it with full functionality gets me a little warm in the warp core. But I am forced to wonder just how often one may find themselves needing to realign each individual warp coil. That level of detail is impressive, though, I'm just wondering on how much those types of activities will affect gameplay.

As for individualization, yes it's necessary and yes Star Trek doesn't lend itself to that medium when it comes to apparel. That's why I believe they should've attempted to break some new MMPORG ground and create the individualism in faces and other actual body features rather than in uniforms. More difficutl, sure, possibly impossible as far as my knowledge of MMPORG authorship goes, but it would've been more authentic and more impressive an effort just in the gaming sense.

Still looking forward to it though.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps