Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Starship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Starship
Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

I am currently working on a new Starship.
It's an early TNG ear ship.
 -

Here is the link to a lager (2200x300) version to see the details better.
Picture

Tell me what you think.

Lobo

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it might look better without the primary saucer, and just have that Voyager-esque shape be the hull.

Other than that, good work. I really like that funky nacelle design [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Love the detail work you've put into this. Looks very much like a true TNG version of the Excelsior. I'd like to see other views of this if you have them. That upper lip on the forward secondary hull is definitely different, and I can imagine that some might not like it, but I do. With so many cookie-cutter designs out there, we need fresh ideas. I also like how you've come up with new ideas for the sensor strips, nacelles, and deflector.

I forget if you've said it before, but what program do you use?

B.J.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This design looks pretty cool! It's a nice meshing of design elements from many others, but it doesn't lack originality, either. What's it called?

Lobo, somebody said you designed stuff for the Borg Invasion 4D attraction at Star Trek: The Experience. Is that true? Did you design the Olympia?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of like Harry's suggestion, though in that case I think the nacelles would need to be tweaked a little, as they would look. . . unbalanced. But all in all it is interesting.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I think it might look better without the primary saucer, and just have that Voyager-esque shape be the hull.

I actually have the opposite idea. I like it except for that Voyager hull!

Very nice work. This would have made a good Titan for the contest.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lobo:
Hi everybody,

I am currently working on a new Starship.
It's an early TNG ear ship.

Tell me what you think.

Lobo

Nice. The excelsior influence is very clear.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I forget if you've said it before, but what program do you use?

Hi,
I use Corel Draw 11.

quote:
Well maybe...
I actually wanted to make a post TNG ear ship. But then I saw (when I started to draw) that the secundary hull became more Excelsior/TNG era like...so I decited to make an early TNG era ship. I also had already begun to design the primary saucer section and indeed it was a bit Voy-like but more organic in shape. Same with the Warp nacelles. The currently nacelles you see on the ship are "last minute changes" because I didn't like the older ones.
Maybe I will try to draw a new version based on your suggestion.

quote:
This design looks pretty cool! It's a nice meshing of design elements from many others, but it doesn't lack originality, either. What's it called?

Lobo, somebody said you designed stuff for the Borg Invasion 4D attraction at Star Trek: The Experience. Is that true? Did you design the Olympia?

It has no name yet. I just wrote "U.S.S. Imaginus" on the hull but it's just a placeholder.

And no, I did't design the Olympia or any other stuff for Star Trek: The Experience. But I would like to see some puctures of that ship. Btw: Who says so?

quote:
This would have made a good Titan for the contest.
Thanks, Masao. I don't know the rules of that Titan contest but I assume my ship would have been too old to be the "new" ship Titan.

At last I am glad to see that you all like the ship so far, thanks.

Lobo

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the nacelles! Not wild about the lip sticking out above the deflector, though.

And yes, I'd like to see caps of the Olympia too.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting design.
From an artistic standpoint, if I were you I'd use more contrast in those gradients. As it stands the colours look a little flat and washed out, with little sense of depth.
Really like the nacelle design though.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont dig the secondary hull sticking forward like that- looks a bit like a goblin shark's horn.

Is the saucer circular or oval?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a sleek design. Sharp and you can see the Excelsior lineage (without the guppy-ish Excelsion qualities) I even like the deflector over-bite. But maybe a little too slim at the rear of the engineering hull. Structurally it seems like a lot of things need to happen where the nacelles join the secondary hull. Especially if one intuitively expect the nacelles to be providing the motive force for the vessel. Right now that area looks to be about one deck high, and so maybe double that? Don't know just my initial reaction...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo....top view?

Do the nacelle pylons stem from the secondary hull like Probert's Ambassador Prototype?

Looks that way....

Have you ever considered making the Amby Prototype?
Pretty Pleeeeze?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the side view proportions a lot. However, the saucer's size seems to dominate the secondary hull, which from the top could be too narrow if the deflector is circular. By the same token, I hope the secondary isn't too broad, lest it look like the saucer is attached to a 2x6 piece of wood. [Wink]

Oh, and I can't spot the aft torpedo launchers.. Are they in the aft undercut?

Mark

[ October 22, 2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need more views! Draw, man, draw!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps