Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Starship (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Starship
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, Jason, sounds like a cool idea.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kool.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a Galaxy ate a Nova...
But I'm just bustin' chops.

[Razz]

I love it, especially the Nacelles. Truly original, but with enough design elements to still be recognised as a Fed design.

Kudos, and keep tweaking! I think you're on to something here.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame Lobo doesn't seem to be around, but that won't stop me opining anyway!

First, this is a very nice design, very original with plenty of unique features. Well done!

The lip over the deflector (or round-down of the secondary hull or whatever) definately doesn't need a phaser strip. 90% of it's arc of fire would be restricted by the ship itself. Maybe it's my weird mind but this just leapt out at me at first glance.

I would like to see slightly more curvature around the deflector so that it blends a little more into the flat underside of the lip above it. This would separate the deflector slightly from the lip, promote the lines of the secondary hull, and make it look more like the deflector isn't being occluded in the same way that the phaser strip is.

I can't see where the torpedo tubes are, but they should definately go in the secondary hull, not in the traditional location on the neck. Trek ships always seem to be trying to fire these things through narrow slots bordered by big, important parts of their own ships hulls.

If the neck were shortened fore and aft so that the dark corrugated "throat" came back almost as far as the airlock on the side of the neck, then this would remove that very flat looking underside of the saucer and really give the ship a curvaceous, organic free flowing look. It would also help make the saucer separation look better as the underside of the saucers "belly" would not be interrupted. The neck would only attach at the flat area to the rear.

It's a great design and very impressive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood why they dont just place the saucer's phaser ring around the saucer's rim?
It would cover both dorsal and ventral arcs that way.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you knock it out? [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same problem as they have in real life. The best arcs of fire also offer a radar or electro-optical system the best possible horizon. Add to that the fact that sensors don't always weigh quite as much as weapons systems anyway, so you often can't put big guns or missile launchers in the same positions to start with. So, the sensor usually gets pride of place because while you may have the best possible position from which to shoot, it don't do you no good if you can't first see the target coming!

I understood that the edge of the saucer was the typical home of long range sensors. These particular items would therefore have a very high priority.

If the perfect coverage is what you're after than starfleet ships are a very poor shape. They should dispense with saucers, integrate both hulls into one long needle shape, keep the nacelle struts as short as possible and the nacelles as close to the hull as possible and mount three whopping big weapons: one in the nose and one top and bottom of the engineering section to cover the blind spots around the nacelles and over the stern, whilst also being able to fire ahead as well.

Basically a big flying phallus with a huge gun in the end [Big Grin]

And like Mark says, if you put one on top and one on the bottom, you've got redundancy.

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!

I'm still alive and working and studying and what else people so do... I will try to finish that ship! But first I go to student party at my Uni...

Good bye

Thorsten... I mean Lobo

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES. Yes, GO to student party. And then find me a gorgeous large-breasted German girl (are there any other kinds anymnore) & send her to me.

I will open a club in a college town--perhaps this one--& call it "Student Party."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She'd crush you between her mighty tutonic thighs if she's anything like the large-breasted germans i know (and that's just the ladies).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:

If the perfect coverage is what you're after than starfleet ships are a very poor shape. They should dispense with saucers, integrate both hulls into one long needle shape, keep the nacelle struts as short as possible and the nacelles as close to the hull as possible and mount three whopping big weapons: one in the nose and one top and bottom of the engineering section to cover the blind spots around the nacelles and over the stern, whilst also being able to fire ahead as well.

OR, you make one giant sphere that can rotate any axis without changing ship direction....then you call it "Death Star"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

Nah, don't like spheres. Too much wasted internal volume around the inner hull and they're an absolute sod to balance correctly when thrusting.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
She'd crush you between her mighty tutonic thighs if she's anything like the large-breasted germans i know (and that's just the ladies).

Failing to see the bad.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps