Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Masao's Book Cover (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Masao's Book Cover
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was in a book store the otherday and I saw the space station of Masao's gracing the front cover. VERY nice Masao - and that's so awesome that you've got your work assigned to semi-officialdom!

Tell me, did you also design the blueprints/station plan on the inside plates of that book?

Congratulations, again.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's sweet- did you see the pull-out of the station poster in the book's rear cover?
I wanted to turn to the guy next to me and say "I talk geek stuff with this guy!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(isn't in the know)

Front cover of what?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhhhhhhh:

http://www.psiphi.org/images/1416507744-big.jpg

Sweet!!!! Congrats.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sweet design, for sure, and very treknologically feasable...but why are the Enterprise's impulse vents glowing? [Wink]

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's all kinds of things wrong with the Enterprise on the cover.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old news, guys! But thanks, anyway.

I only did the 2-D schematics, which were reprinted in the fold out. I don't do any 3-D modeling. The cover artwork is by Doug Drexler.

I've already received the cover art for the next Vanguard novel from Marco Palmieri, the editor at Pocket Books. It features the space station and another ship. (Can't say more than that)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NX-1000?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Trinculo?
The USS Discovery? On subspace you say?
The USS Helen Keller coming in for repairs to her sensors again?

Is it one of your original designs, Masao?
Models of your Predator class are featured at the SSM gallery this week, you know. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Trinculo!!! That would be a hell of an acid trip...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh:

http://www.psiphi.org/images/1416507744-big.jpg

Sweet!!!! Congrats.

Gosh, it's an awfully small book, isn't it?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It features the space station and another ship. (Can't say more than that)
But can you tell whether you designed/helped design that ship?

Timo Saloniemi

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually bought that book because of its cover. The story was okay-good enough that I'd like to read the next sequel, anyway. The station's design seems kind of like a mix between the K-7 station and the stations later seen following Star Trek III.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The obvious K-7 element is the "sombrero hull", but its engineering rationale seems different in Masao's design and in the original which borrowed from this Douglas Corp. study. SB 47 is a solid structure that maximises horizontal deck area, but K-7 features these segments of slightly differing radii that slide within each other for launch (in the Douglas model) or perhaps to reveal internal cargo spaces (in the Trek interpretation that probably was not "launched" at all).

Of course, with SB 47 as big as it is, there could still be segments of varying radii - so slightly varying that we can't really see the seams. A collapsible hull might help with towing the structure in place; there wouldn't be any air resistance to fight, or any tight canals to navigate through, but there might still be a warp field within which to ride...

...Although the novel itself suggests the SB 47 construction took place in situ.

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
quote:
It features the space station and another ship. (Can't say more than that)
But can you tell whether you designed/helped design that ship?

Timo Saloniemi

Yes, I can. No, I didn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
[QUOTE]Of course, with SB 47 as big as it is, there could still be segments of varying radii - so slightly varying that we can't really see the seams. A collapsible hull might help with towing the structure in place; there wouldn't be any air resistance to fight, or any tight canals to navigate through, but there might still be a warp field within which to ride...

I know about the basis of the original K7 (of course!) but I don't know if Marco Palmieri does. Regardless, he didn't ask me to incorporate any suggestion of collapsibility into my station design. For a station of that size, engineering enormous pivoting sections would probably be more trouble than just building the thing in place. They'd probably flex quite a bit and be subject to differential contraction and expansion. You could, however, have pre-fab sections (like slices of orange peel) that might be stacked to save space. However, I suspect a typical plank on frame construction method, as presumably used for starships, was envisioned.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps