Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Masao's Book Cover (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Masao's Book Cover
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In TOS they'd likely have to build "on location" nad probably from mostly native materials (meaning starbases would likely be somewhat near asteroid belts or uninhabited worlds they could mine the hell out of).

FASA has some nice tug designs that can tow a Regula sized staton, but tha's mostlt TMP and later.

By TNG, they should be able to inport large quantities of raw materials or locally mined stuff to replicate whatever they'd need.

While never shown, I'd think some starbases slighty reflect the cultures that built it- the Andor starbase would vary a bit from the Vulcan version while following a common overall design.

[ November 20, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/X000000231.html

The new cover is online

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, what ships are those docked at the station on the first cover? One kind of looks like the Conestoga.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're Conestoga types and DY-100/-500 types.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/X000000231.html

The new cover is online

Looks like I'll be buying the second book based on the cover, too.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how Trek novelists and cover artists do their damnedest to discredit the connection between this sphere-and-cylinder ship and the name Daedalus... Doesn't anybody remember that Data declared the class of that name decommissioned from 2196 onward?

Of course, this picture could be of the unstuck SB 46, making all chronological considerations moot. And it's truly a testimony to human stubbornness that we kept building these things after losing 45 of them to explosions.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lucrative Tellarite tax break for blown-up space stations.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, but the two EVA suits are out of scale with the windows....and someone's been downloading Hubble pics.

Purdy oildrum Deadalus- the USS Haliburton?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that NCC-470?

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. It is swamp gas reflected off a weather balloon on Venus. Move on.

Frankly, I can't fathom this obsession with Daedalus class ships, when the single canon datapoint we have on them is that they were not in service when anything of significance happened to anybody we know.

Okay, the Starfleet Corps of Engineers book uses an ex-Starfleet Daedalus as a SCE support vessel in a basically valid manner. But having one in active NCC registry at the time of "Vanguard" is not consistent with what we know.

Unless, of course, the sphere-and-cylinder ship is actually of Icarus class, and the real Daedalus looked completely different. Or then NCC-470 (430?) ran into another spatiotemporal anomaly.

Timo Saloniemi

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Timo's right (NCC-430):

-

I'm not sure I understand the obsession with the Daedalus class (or whatever the sphere and cylinder ships are called), given that I think they look kinda dumb. I've only ever seen one image I really liked of one of these. Plus it reminds me too much of the Discovery from 2001, only 500% less cool.

I really love the design of the station, Masao, and you are to be congratulated. But did you intend for it to be so shiny? I know you did not make the model, beyond your control, I'm just curious if you thought imagined it that way. Look at those perfect reflections in the foreground.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, BX, I noticed those reflections (Marco sent me large poster of the artwork). I figure starships have a sort of satiny semimatte/semigloss finish like modern aircraft, but Vanguard shines like a dance floor in a Fred Astaire movie.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye they just skipped the paint to save the million tons of mass it would add to the station.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reflection looks strange because otherwise the surface doesn't give me the impression of being highly reflective. Still it is impressive cover art.
jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the book several days ago. I saw your name on the foldout and it hit me like a brick, "Flare!" Dude, congrats. I really like the design, too. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps