Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Gull-wing cruiser (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Gull-wing cruiser
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started on a design of my own that so far has ended up being a mish-mash of pre-TOS and TMP era details (I figure it's undergone a refit or two, but not a complete one like the Constitution). Basically, I just created this as a way to incorporate some gull-wing nacelle pylons, which I've wanted to see on a Federation ship for a long time, plus some other oddball features. The decks are 2.7m high with 0.5m divisions, and the overall dimensions at this point are 230m long by 47m high by 124m wide at this point. I've got a way to go with detailing and shading yet.
 -
 -
 -

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Well, I like the way the saucer connects to the secondary hull, and I think she's got an especially fine butt, but I just really don't like the gull wing nacelle configuration. It just looks like too much strut.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn. I really like the aft profile in that bottom view, but the dorsal view looks... dinky. Like the saucer seems too small maybe? Or the nacelles too wide? I'm not sure. Just something to make it look a bit less 'frail'. The dorsal projection looks almost Nova-esque right now, which could be OK, I guess, it just seems too 'light' for ships of this era. Or how I think of ships of this era anyway. It's definitely a cool design and I really think there's something there.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm nice renderings.
The ship has a real Steamrunner vibe from the front and aft (it's the bend on the nacelle pylons).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really really like this. More!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a lot of work done on the top view:
 -

B.J.

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool
Why not mount the pylons to the neck, would reduce their length , but keep the look?
just a thought

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Updated the side view:
 -

B.J.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, I like the side view. I'm still thinking the nacelles are a touch too far apart. But this thing is really coming together. Can't wait to see more.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

It's been slow going, but I've got an update to the front view, plus a ship's logo. It's not a class patch, but a logo for this specific ship. I stole the design almost completely from the movie "2010". The font is different (used actual Cyrillic letters), and I added an accent to the "O" as it should be spelled.
 -
 -
And I realize I forgot the RCS thrusters.

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Woo hoo! It's done! I added a bottom view, plus added little details to all the other views like phasers, torpedo tubes, panel lines, etc. The configuration is done, but I'd still like to draw up some section cuts sometime. We'll just have to see when that will happen.
 -

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

I came up with a couple of auxiliaries for this ship. I've got a third in mind, but haven't started to draw it up yet. Anyway, the workbee here is based on one of Probert's early sketches for TMP. The shuttle is obviously a smaller version of the Vulcan shuttle. I've seen someone else draw up a similar shuttle, but that was fully set in the movie timeframe, while I've tried to keep my design somewhere between TOS and TMP. I'm not quite done with these yet, since I'd like to draw up other views. Comments?
 -

B.J.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the workbee, it has shades of the NX-01 pods as well as the TOS and TMP style shuttles.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you seem to have forward torpedo hatches on the saucer, very nice. But I see no over- or under-side forward phasers, only port/starboard ones, what's the thought there?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

I didn't want the ship to be quite as armed as a TMP-era Constitution (save for the aft torp launcher), so I figured that the p/s phasers could easily manage the forward arc as well. You would only have one of the dome pairs firing from each location in that instance, though.

B.J.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps