Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » "Looking for a class name!" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Looking for a class name!"
ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on a rough 3d model of a tug that would replace the Ptolemy Class. It looks a lot like Jackill's USS Hensley class, but he went with two tow pads and I went with one.

I'm thinking about checking with FJ's TM to see if he left any room in his system after the Keppler class.

I've already released one addon for Orbiter called the "Ptolemy Tug Cargo Pods", and I'm looking to update these to TMP era.

Thanks!

Christopher

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atlas class

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a possibility. It doesn't clash with FJ or Masao's museum either. I looked at Patrick Lichty's Dolland Class tug and his design is based off of a TOS era hull. I've been considering a Keppler (refit) class, using the existing Keppler NCC-'s as each ship gets upgraded. Atlas class tug...Hmmmmm.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If yu're willing to abandon the Greco-Roman/Anglo tradition that most ships are named after, there are still plenty of human cultural references to choose from.

Babylonian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Chinese, Japanese (ok, we saw the U.S.S. Yamato, but that's it, isn't it?), Korean, etc...

Basically any culture that isn't the ancestors of the white anglo saxons of today.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
If yu're willing to abandon the Greco-Roman/Anglo tradition that most ships are named after, there are still plenty of human cultural references to choose from.

Babylonian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Chinese, Japanese (ok, we saw the U.S.S. Yamato, but that's it, isn't it?), Korean, etc...

Basically any culture that isn't the ancestors of the white anglo saxons of today.

I think FJ tried to do that in the tech manual, certainly a lot of his ship names favored Middle Eastern sources. (Just read the names of some of the scouts and destroyers, there are some scary dudes in there!)

Christopher

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Versus Jackill, who seems to have gotten all of this thousands of names out of a phone book. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Atlas class

Psst. taken.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herb:

Yamato, Akagi, Kyushu, Musashi, Honshu, and Okinawa were all just in dialogue. When you get down to screen graphics and other semi- and unofficial material like the TNG TM, FJ's TM, and so on: Kongo, Hokkaido, Hiroshima, Akira, Soryu, Hiryu... and that's not counting the Kobayashi Maru and Shiku Maru. While I don't think those are named after actual Japanese commercial vessels, they still follow the naming convention for such.

And I know I'm forgetting a lot more. These were just the most memorable.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Atlas class

Psst. taken.
Very nice, Reverend! I'm going to go with the ships being refit Dolland Class tugs, based on Reverend's revelation. According to the FJ Tech Manual, there is room at NCC-3950 for at least 49 ships. The highest Dolland class in the TM is NCC-3940.

Christopher

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Chris... There's no need to be slavish to FJ's registry "system". A lot of his work, while very pretty and definitely a good starting point, showed appalling research methodology. I do not say this out of meanness or dislike for the nam or his work. It's just what an objective analysis unfortunately starts to reveal.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I do not say this out of meanness or dislike for the nam or his work. It's just what an objective analysis unfortunately starts to reveal.

--Jonah

I don't think you're being mean. There are some things he could've done better. Overall when you're trying to shoehorn something into that era (Pre-,TOS,-TMP) his system actually works quite well. After the Excelsior and Oberth classes it starts to break down.

I don't have issues with Non-FJ numbering systems, it makes sense that Starfleet would change the method of NCC- allotments from time
to time. I think they did that just after ST Generations, personally.

The only problem I have is when TNG, and older
systems are brought backward to TOS.

Christopher

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Atlas class

Psst. taken.
Oh sure....bring THAT up.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm thinking of class names, I don't worry only about the lead ship; I also worry more about what other names I can fill the class with. For some ships I'm working on (Ocean class, Giant class, Continent class), I'm going with style the RN sometimes uses by giving the class a generic name (V class, Weapon class, Tribal class) rather than naming it after the lead ship. I wished I given all ships in a class related names when I started doing this kind of stuff 10 years ago, but I was following the haphazard example of TNG rather than FJ.

I also don't worry about the names and numbers conflicting with anything except onscreen ships. There are too many fan- and licensee-designed ships out there.

Edit: grammar stuff

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I also don't worry about the names and numbers conflicting with anything except onscreen ships. There are too many fan- and licensee-designed ships out there.

Edit: grammar stuff

Thanks, Masao. When I was referring to not conflicting with your site, I was more along the idea of an Atlas tug not being such a good idea if there was already an Atlas Cruiser, etc. I do try to make sure my designs have a purpose. In the case of the refit Dolland class, there is still a strategic need for a large scale transport system within Starfleet to handle colonization efforts or deal with natural disasters like planetary plagues, famines or other situations that would out of scale for ships like the Enterprise A.

Thanks!

Christopher

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

In the tradition of the U.S. Navy naming ships after famous officers...

I can just imagine the "Kirk class" probe designed to penetrate ANY heavenly body.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps