Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » "Looking for a class name!" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Looking for a class name!"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need to keep it Earth-centric.
There's plebty of federation worlds out there that are largley unrepresented by Starfleet's names.
(make something up and call it RIgillian or Tellerite)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
No need to keep it Earth-centric.
There's plebty of federation worlds out there that are largley unrepresented by Starfleet's names.
(make something up and call it RIgillian or Tellerite)

That's certainly a possibilty. I have no doubt
that if I searched the net hard enough I could find a website that covered Tellerite naming convensions. LOL!

Christopher

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wagon-train class?

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
Wagon-train class?

Desilu Class! USS Lucy, USS Ricky, USS Fred
and USS Ethel.

Christopher

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Shuttlecraft "Little Ricky"!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
And the Shuttlecraft "Little Ricky"!

I'm still leaning toward Dolland Class and to that end here is a quick WIP of the model so far. The pod is a Mark I Bulk Liquids carrier and features fore and aft docking ports as well as one where the towpad meets the upper hull.

-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm..I"d go with something besides the standard Miranda class with a trailer hitch.

It just does not seem unique enough to warrant it's own class when we've seen Mirandas with far more extensive mods remain "in the family" as it were.

I had a simmular notion a few years back and made my USS Gao Yao
 -

Mabye you could replace the torpedo pod (like it's gonna go into combat with several thousand tonnes of whatever towed along) with a heavy-duty tractor beam emitter or something useful to a transport ship...

Even an additional impulse engine prahaps?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:

I had a simmular notion a few years back and made my USS Gao Yao
 -

Mabye you could replace the torpedo pod (like it's gonna go into combat with several thousand tonnes of whatever towed along) with a heavy-duty tractor beam emitter or something useful to a transport ship...

Even an additional impulse engine prahaps?

That's a possibility. There's no reason why I couldn't add a tractor beam in place of the torpedo mounts. Extra impulse engines could make sense too, like the one's on the refit Excelsior
class. Nice work on the Gao Yao, it reminds me of something privately contracted as opposed to a Starfleet design.

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmm..mabye a civillian-use ship (as I dont subscribe to the notion that starfleet runs all stellar travel and commerce in the Federation).

The ship is a FASA homage (nacelles close together, partly protected by superstructure is a FASA-background design trait of Andorian shipyards).

For your ship, why not take a page from the Soyuz class and have four pylons stemming from the central hull- each with a rear-facing tractor beam emitter to haul the containters and no physical connector at all.

That way there's zero stress on the ship's hull during manuvers or course corrections, and swapping cargo containers would just be a matter of tweaking the beam.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
That way there's zero stress on the ship's hull during manuvers or course corrections, and swapping cargo containers would just be a matter of tweaking the beam.

Who did FASA's designs? Some of them were actually quite decent once you get past the gamey aspects of them. The only problem with using a tractor beam is the simulator only supports hard docking ports at this time.

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think there was a whole group of FASA designers...not too sure who exactly.
Gary Perry was one, I think.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd probably look better if the nacelles were mounted on the dorsal side (like they were originally going to be) that would keep them safe from docking mishaps and make the design look a little less "kitbashed".

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One person was actually responsible for most of the ship design work. I will try to dig out my old Recognition Manuals to tell. My FASA faves (with some work to make them work a little better) are the Chandley, Wilkerson, Loknar, and Larson.

Incidentally, I think Tom Paris learned piloting from an old tug driver. "Faster than light, no left or right" seems like something to remember when hauling a cargo train of those containers at warp...

And Jason? Dayam! but that's a nice conversion. May I steal that design into my "personal canon"?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd be honored!
I've got a couple of more pics too.

Anything you like, just ask- tough not all the designs are my own- many are canon or Ravenstar studios' with my own mods.

Like this : my latest model from Ravenstar.
The album (apologies for the crappy pics- my photograpger pal is not in town).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Brad Torgersen's FASA site, the designs are credited to a fellow named Forest G. Brown
http://members.w-link.net/~subodeon/ststcsolda/

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps