Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ent-E corridors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ent-E corridors
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"those silly snow shovel doors"

More like plastic sleds. In fact, they look so much like repurposed sleds that I suspect that's what they might actually be.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You win a cookie, Mister System.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick check of Insurrection shows that the Voyager corridors outside of Janeway's quarters (which were Picard's in the first place) are used in two walk-and-talk shots on the way to the turbolift. They were simply repainted, and inserts were added at each wall segment junction to make the corridor look a little more like the E-E. All the other corridor shots were on the usual E-E sets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
More like plastic sleds. In fact, they look so much like repurposed sleds that I suspect that's what they might actually be.

Wait, which doors are these? From which movie?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Contact. They're the silly doors everyone uses to enter the escape pods.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah. I can see it. Never noticed at the time. To be sure, these:

-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they have Whales and Dolphins on the E-E?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not alone on the sled thing, right?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are nice caps - no matter what they are!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought those doors were kinda cool(as I'm sure B&B did, since they describe most things as being "kinda cool"), but they don't seem the most efficient doors to be using at the single most time when you really need the doors to open quickly. Imagine it, the ship's collapsing around you and you're standing there waiting for the bleedin door to finish leaning down so you can get in an escape pod and get off the damned ship.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They ARE sleds, Sol. That's why you got the cookie.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Member # 419

That's gotta be a sled. I tried looking for that kind online, and found several that were close, but no exact matches. Certainly gives me some ideas though. Don't be surprised to find some door(s) in my show resembling these.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sled with a center ridge but no side runners?

With a silly keel like that, and with such great beam, I'd think this is a pseudo-aerodynamic cover for an automobile ski box. Or then a toboggan for the truly obese.

Either way, I could see the utility if the pod happens to land on water, snow or other less than solid surface...

Timo Saloniemi

bX
Member # 419

But the escape pods themselves don't incorporate those doors, do they?

Despite what I said above and again, I couldn't find any exact matches, but I fear Timo may be right with the car carrier idea. For one thing, being fiberglass or whatever, they'd be rugged enough to come down and have people walk up them. Of course, the price difference is like $5-20 (US) for plastic toboggans vs. $200-$600 (US) for aerodynamic car carriers which would substantially reduce the economic factor.

Shik
Member # 343

I know I'm speaking English...and I can see my words....

Maybe I'm Xaronna or something.

THEY. ARE. SLEDS. I cannot remember the book or article or whathaveyou I read it in, but it was one of the guys who built the sets (Zimmerman, mayhaps) & he said they were sleds.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps