Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pinewood Derby Galileo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pinewood Derby Galileo
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been nearly two decades since I've been involved with a Pinewood Derby, but since my son is a Tiger Cub this year, we're building him a car.

.....and one for me as well. (Unlimited class, of course!) [Big Grin]

My son did all the design decisions on his car, and I helped him with building it. But that's not why I'm posting. I'm showing off *my* car here, which I'm using to show off my geekiness. I'm sure my son would have preferred it if I did an X-Wing, but I have very few carpentry skills, not to mention the fact that I don't have many tools. So I went with a fairly easy shape, as well as one that's easy to recognize: the Galileo shuttlecraft.

I had to simplify things a bit, but I think it looks good. It still needs a clear coat and the wheels, but otherwise it's just about finished. In order to maintain the correct proportions, I had to significantly shorten the wheelbase from a standard racer. It's not going to win any races, but it'll look good doing it!
 -  -

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is slick, BJ.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! I still have my Pinewood Derby cars hanging around in the closet somewhere, along with the 2nd Place trophy my second one received... I think...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad you couldn't do an X-wing, maybe you could try an A-wing next year.
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one of my pinewood derby cars I did a shuttlecraft. My dad helped me put in a blinking red light on the top and the nacelles went over the wheels.
She crashed the first race and was unsalvagable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I pose the ignorant question:

what exactly IS a Pinewood Derby?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here's the ignorant reply:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinewood_derby
[Big Grin]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Funny thing - They had the track set up yesterday so people could come and make an early run to see if they needed any adjustments. I had finally put the wheels on mine, and brought it along too (this was mainly for my son). All the adults knew exactly what my "car" was. None of the kids did. My son (who's nearly 7) tried to explain it to the others as a picture I got off my computer. About the funniest comment I got from one of the kids was he thought it was a milk truck! [Roll Eyes] Really don't know where the kid came up with that, because I don't think anyone's delivered milk around here since before I was born!
Pleiades10
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for Pleiades10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that would be cool as a landing craft, you know like a TOS or any sort of Argo veichle.

Oh BTW Hi. hahaha.

--------------------
errrr...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...it IS.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Pleiades10
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for Pleiades10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, sorry, I'm prone to looking at only art, I have a distinct dislike of writes. I wasn't sure, I knew it was a 'car' but not for Planetary exploration. [Smile]

--------------------
errrr...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...yeah.

Nice work B.J., did you run it in the trails? How'd it do?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

The derby is tonight. My son has been overly excited about it all week. I should have some pictures of it completed and racing by Monday.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks great! Sounds like a lot of fun, too. I wish we had that at school. You ought to put a pic of the Galileo on that wiki page(I hadn't heard of Pinewood Derbies either).

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Here's a shot of my completed Galileo next to my son's more conventional design:
 -
Unfortunately, neither of us did very well. He was 35th out of about 40, and I was 18th out of 19. In any case, we both learned a lot for next year. He did have fun building and racing it, though, and that was the important part.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps