Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Trek reboot concept (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek reboot concept
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is my fourth post ever in this forum. How's that for sad?

I've had this idea in my head lately that won't go away, so I thought I'd inflict it on y'all. Like lots of Trek fans, I have a compulsive need for things to fit together and make sense. However, Star Trek just... doesn't. There was no plan, and as a consequence there are a ridiculous number of loose ends: planet-destroying whale probes, civilizations never mentioned again, huge technological leaps that just vanish, a bunch of stuff. A lot of the novel authors also seem to have the same need I do. We get things like the Q trilogy and Peter David's novels, trying to tie disparate threads of Trek together into some sort of consistent whole.

I'd like to take a different approach. I'd like to rewrite the Trek continuity to use the existing elements, but with overall stories and arcs in mind, and with the consequences of things actually mattering down the line. Instead of trying to create new pieces that fit the established canon, I'd like to rewrite the existing pieces to flow better. Right now all I'm thinking is creating a lot of arcs covering the various shows, reusing and tying up as many loose threads as possible.

For example, Kirk and the Enterprise find the Guardian, and have their City on the Edge of Forever adventure. But this discovery isn't just some minor thing never to be mentioned again. It causes serious repercussions, to the point of the Klingons and Romulans trying to seize the Guardian for themselves. On the edge of that major battle, the Organians show up and impose a peace.

Time travel would be an inextricable and major element of the continuity. Instead of "Oh, we can travel through time by warping around a star," we'd get "Time travel? HOLY SHIT!" The Temporal Cold War would actually show up and have effects all throughout history, including the strange duplicates of Earth Kirk discovers. And that cold war might actually show some beginnings with the Guardian incident, with the various empires willing to go to war for the power to rewrite history. Possibly ultimately leading centuries down the line to THE temporal cold war, against the Borg.

The first step, I would think, would be to make a list of all the loose ends that would need to be re-threaded. Off the top of my head:

Guardian of Forever
Time warp around a star
Doomsday Machine
Duplicate Earths
Whale Probe
V'ger
Genesis device
Galactic barrier
Great barrier
Cytherians
Organians
Trelane
Q
Borg
Temporal Cold War
Iconians
T'kon
Preservers

So it's a potentially ridiculously huge project. But I think it sounds like a lot of fun. What do y'all think?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, but maybe you should also throw in the Tholians as I feel there some possibilities with them, especially if your going to include the Temp Cold War.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of those topics have been covered in the ST novels. However, until very recently, most of the novels would contradict each other because there was no cohesive writing group for them like there is today.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know that I'm all for it.

If we're trying to tie all of Trek together, are you going to include Enterprise as well? I know its not high on a lot of people's lists, but... There are some unanswered things from Enterprise as well. Like the whole Xindi thing, the Spheres and their builders, the Suliban, the Delphic Expanse, etc etc. I think it would be interesting if the Temporal Cold War started with Kirk's discovery of time travel and worked backwards.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very similar to the Reboot idea JMS had to reboot Star Trek.

http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/files/ST2004Reboot.pdf

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat's right, a lot of those topics are covered in the novels, and for the same reason: they're all loose ends. I'm just proposing a different approach from the novels. Though the way they tie things together could certainly be involved.

JMS's reboot is indeed somewhat similar. But I'm interested in actually plotting out the entire 200 year span, including Enterprise. I'm not looking for any single plot arc for a whole series, particularly. But knowing how things are connected would give the whole of Star Trek the feel of a real universe, instead of the mish-mash it has become.

And yes, Tholians! Gorn, First Federation, all the one-off races that were supposed to be major and didn't get mentioned for a long time. Mirrorverse would be important too.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that traveling to the Mirrorverse is apparently as simple as waving a gidget over the transporter controls and hopping on the pad, I'm amazed that there isn't more cross-traffic. Or, for that matter, attempts to find other mirror universes. Its like the time travel discovery, this should be a major event with serious consequences...!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, universe-hopping requires throwing Sally Field at the console?!?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Without My Vulcan.
Omega
Member # 91

More points to be redeveloped:
Technological development
Cloaking technology
Genetic engineering/Eugenics wars
Artificial intelligence
History, nature, expansion and integration of the Federation
First encounters and relationships with different races
Andromeda invasion
Conspiracy aliens
Operation: Annhilate parasites
Giant space amoeba
Tribbles
Crystalline entity
Probe encountered by Nomad

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yonada & the Fabini medical archives.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
There was no plan, and as a consequence there are a ridiculous number of loose ends: planet-destroying whale probes, civilizations never mentioned again, huge technological leaps that just vanish, a bunch of stuff.

You may want to consider leaving some things that won't be answered and are left as mysteries, or maybe take centuries to figure out. Sometimes the most interesting stories are the ones that leave open-ended questions.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Speaking of Andromedans, maybe they should be like the "Ancients" of Star Trek. Have all their abandoned tech located throughout the galaxy with different civilizations attempting to use it for their own interests.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Wouldn't that be the Iconians?
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the Kalandans.

quote:
were an advanced spacefaring race of humanoids who lived 10,000 years ago. As they expanded their civilization, they built artificial planets, which they utilized as outposts. During the construction of one such planet, the Kalandans accidentally created a deadly microorganism that infected and killed the planet's inhabitants. Supply ships that visited the outpost inadvertently transported the disease back to the Kalandan homeworld, which presumably led to the extinction of their species. (TOS: "That Which Survives")

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps