Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Trek reboot concept (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek reboot concept
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
More points to be redeveloped:
Conspiracy aliens
Giant space amoeba
Crystalline entity

One of the lastest Titan books deals with the various space monsters and such... but that isn't cannon, is it? Also in recent books, the Conspiracy aliens are offshots of trills, supposed...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't tying everything together after the fact (which usually seems like a bad idea to me) the exact opposite of "rebooting"?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tying everything together after the fact is indeed the opposite of rebooting. That's what the novels do. But I'm talking about creating an entirely new fictional history, drawing from but not tied to the Trek canon. If that's not a reboot, I don't know what is.

As for ancient races, obviously backstory would be in order, explaining the timelines for all those ancient races. I figure we can just say they were all at different times or something. And yes, I agree that some mysteries should be left unresolved so far as the Federation is concerned, either temporarily or permanently. But an explanation can still be created if not fleshed out too far.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for ancient races, obviously backstory would be in order, explaining the timelines for all those ancient races. I figure we can just say they were all at different times or something.

Unless you pull a B5 & have it so that all those older races & empires were in a geopolitical situation much like the one we see in "our" time. That is to sar, as we have the UFP, RSE, IKE, Cardassians, Dominion, & the like so 500,000 years ago were the T'Kon, Sargon's people, the Kalandans, the Fabrini, etc.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd thought about that too. Perhaps different "ages" of empire relationships would be in order. The Iconians obviously had enemies capable of destroying them. But then you have to wonder why none of those races are around any more, leading to approximate technological parity across the region. Gamma ray bursts? From the T'kon sun's supernova? Purposeful departure? Tribble invasion?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Tying everything together after the fact is indeed the opposite of rebooting. That's what the novels do. But I'm talking about creating an entirely new fictional history, drawing from but not tied to the Trek canon. If that's not a reboot, I don't know what is.

As for ancient races, obviously backstory would be in order, explaining the timelines for all those ancient races. I figure we can just say they were all at different times or something. And yes, I agree that some mysteries should be left unresolved so far as the Federation is concerned, either temporarily or permanently. But an explanation can still be created if not fleshed out too far.

Not to drive the topic bus into oncoming traffic (But i do that!)but would Battle Angel Alita: Last order be considered a reboot? as far as the Last GN of the orginal series was concerned?

and why does this topic make me think like Old school Marvel's What If series?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd thought about that too. Perhaps different "ages" of empire relationships would be in order. The Iconians obviously had enemies capable of destroying them. But then you have to wonder why none of those races are around any more, leading to approximate technological parity across the region. Gamma ray bursts? From the T'kon sun's supernova? Purposeful departure? Tribble invasion?

Maybe witness the destruction of the tribbles by the Klingons.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

Deleted.... i realised that sweaty people would walked 4 miles in hot hot hot... should not Post.. often...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps