Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Brunswick Class Long Range Explorer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Brunswick Class Long Range Explorer
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The types seem to denote size, not how "advanced" they are or anything.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type distinguishes size/power, not advancement.

It's actually pretty obvious. Just look at this:

Type I Hand Phaser (Cricket):
Originally used in TOS, able to connect to Type II for more power. Still used in TNG, and though it is more advanced, it's still called a Type I.

Type II Hand Phaser:
Actually looks like a 'gun'. Bigger and more powerful then the Type I. Most of the time the Type I can fit within the Type II. Again, the phaser from TOS and from TNG, relativly the same size, are both called Type II, even though the TNG version if more advanced

Type III Phase Rifle:
Largest and most powerful hand held phaser available. Bigger and more powerful then Type I and II. Though never officially called a Type III in TOS, it is assumed to be called this, so, yet again, the TNG version is called the Type III, just like the TOS version, but is more advanced. Also, note, there is a Type IIIA and a Type IIIB, as evidenced by the DS9TM. The Type IIIB is more advanced then the Type IIIA.

Type IV Shuttle Mounted Phaser:
Larger then all hand held phasers. First seen in TNG, therefore, there is no comparison to TOS.

Type X Starship Mounted Phaser:
Currently known as the largest phaser array capable of being carried by a Federation Starship. These phasers are definatly more powerful then the Type I, II, III, and IV listed above.

Type XI (X+) Planetary/Starbase Mounted Phaser:
Currently known as the largest and most powerful phaser built. Listed in the TNGTM, the X+ (most likely referring to numbers ABOVE 10) phasers are deamed suitable only for planetary surface instalation. Apparantly, the design was able to be mounted to starbases, as evidenced from the DS9TM.

As you can see, as the Roman Numeral goes up, the phaser becomes larger and more powerful, therefore, it's safe to assume, the Type XII would be too large to be handled by a starship. By my guess, a starship bassed off the Ambassador class would use a phaser roughly the size of a Type VIII or IX. The Sovereign class also most likely uses Type IX or X.

Note, as I said with the Type III Phase Rifle, there is a Type IIIA and a Type IIIB, and the IIIB is more powerful. Therefore, if you want a phaser like a Type X, but a lot more advanced, then maybe you should called it Type XB or XC, or however far down the alphabet you want to go to show more advancement.

Also, it would be good to right now state the 'scales' used by starfleet and such, and how groupings work. Here are the three major ones I can see:

CLASS: Denotes vessel or technology that are all relativly the same in design. Evidence: Practically all Constitution class starships look exacly the same, with exception of minor differences.

TYPE: Denotes size of vessel or technology. Evidence: Type II phasers are larger and more advanced then a Type I. Also, a Type III shuttle is larger then a Type II (Class-9 Shuttles are Type II as well)

MARK (Mk.): Denotes advancement. Evidence: A Mark X tricorder is more advanced then a Mark IX Tricorder

Now, I know these don't agree with what has been said on screen (Like shuttles being called 'Type'), but I believe this is a bit of mistake, and the terms 'Mark', 'Type', and 'Class' aren't fully understood by Paramount, and they are just spitting out whatever sounds good. Therefore, from what I said, Shuttles should be referred to by Class, not by Type.

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited September 19, 1999).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point about the phasers, but I think that the Type-9 is a class-2 shuttle. The class might be that it is a smaller faster personell shuttlecraft and Type-9 means that it is the current design up to stardate x.x and is used aboard X ships. Classes of shuttlecraft are just different than starships. So the class will be the major classification like Explorer or something and the type with change with each new design.

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's important to note that higher types are only more powerful amongst phasers from the same era. For instance, a 24th century type II is probably stronger than a 23rd century type III, and so on.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While there is no real reason why a starship couldn't have type XII phasers, I wouldn't exaggerate the fire power which is expressed by the type number in essence. I guess you refer to the newly built ships anyway?

0.75c would be possible with much help from the subspace driver coils, but not useful, considering that relativistic effects occur whenever the ship is at impulse instead of warp.

30 support craft? You should give the ship another shuttlebay.

*gets an Atlas of New Brunswick and controls all the names *

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noted. *makes appropriate changes*

------------------
This post will self destruct in 10 seconds

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps