Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Why was the previous thread locked? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why was the previous thread locked?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm relatively new here and still learning the ropes. However, I was wondering why the thread about the Utopia Planitia page at ST Dimension was considered spam, was locked, and destined to be deleted. Why is this sort of post considered taboo? Was it because the posting was considered an advertisement or some sort?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly...if you want to post about a Web site, be sure to ask if it's okay first.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word, yes. Chris has posted here a dozen times, so it's not like some of the spammers who post here once to plug their site. And never post again. But then, they usually never post again because we ban the f***ers. 8)

But the post was a complete spam and is completely unacceptable. I'll be deleting it as soon as I remember how. . .

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thread disappeared so fast that I couldn't check it. I believe there was a reason to lock the thread (I guess it was you, Lee), but it could easily discourage posters who haven't been here so long and want to do more than just spam.
The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a problem. How do you deal with someone spamming their ship design site in a ship design Forum? Simple. Post the pics, paste in the text. Then say there's more on this class HERE or they have more ship designs HERE.

But to come right out and say "go HERE and look at my designs" isn't being considerate to other people who are able to post here regularly without constant blatant self promotion. Why should we go and look at his poxy little page? Let him prove that it's worth our time and attention first.

Everyone in this thread has their page's link in their signature. Isn't that enough?

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen it a few times that people posted a not too spammy message (their first one, no pun intended), and you kissed them good-bye with a short notice. While this was correct with the self-imposed rules of this board, the rules are not obvious for someone who is newly registered. It could be possible that some people are not spamming to promote their site in the first place, but want to introduce themselves to the board.

The fact that anyone can use their signature as a link is a good reason not to allow links (if not related to the currently discussed subject) inside the message body. I think this and the rule "Thou shalt not spam" should be in the terms of use that everyone has to read when registering, maybe even with examples of what will be locked and what accepted.

The First One
Member # 35

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to ban links from signatures. I'm not a total bastard! Besides, we have some particularly humourless people round here who'd have problems using signatures solely to make little jokes. 8)

And there is a mention about spamming in the rules:

quote:
IF YOU SPAM US, WE WILL SHUT YOU DOWN! If you post a spam to this BB, you will be banned, and your ISP contacted concerning abuse of their serivices. Doing that will probably get your account terminated. You have been warned.

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But this doesn't really let people know what consitutes spamming. Everyone knows that MAKE.MONEY.FAST is spamming, but up until I saw that thread locked I would have assumed that posting a link to your personal shipyard would be perfectly acceptable.
IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you go, Tom. Cleaned up your double post.

As for the spamming thing, I think Lee seems to be the only one that knows what's spam and what's not here. I don't try to understand...

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

I am Canadian

The First One
Member # 35

Respect mah authoritah! 8P
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it...

Not Spam is when you talk about something, and show your page in a link your signature.

Spam is when what you TALK about is your page and its link.

So that "HEY GUYS! Come see my page, it's got ships and banners and popups and aliens and trekbabes and way cool stuff blowing up and did I mention ships? Here's a link! (insert link here)" is spam,

while a philosophical treatise on the inherent morality of Interstellar Jelly Doughnuts, followed by a signature which goes
"-------------------
(insert page link here): Ships and stuff" is not.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited November 13, 1999).]

The First One
Member # 35

Quite. This is a Forum to discuss ship designs, not web sites about ship designs.
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When posting about my own designs, it has always been my habit to post a picture of the vessel in question with a link to the page that has the picture and description. Some folks only want to see a picture. Others want to read about the vessels.

Personally, I've always favored websites with pictures of vessels and a backstory about the vessel. "Here's my ship, isn't it nifty" says nothing except that someone either didn't take the time to think out why the vessel might exist or didn't think it was important.

If I read a book about cars, I want more than just a bunch of pictures. I want to know why they were built, what they could do, and what unique features they possessed. Same thing with starships. A picture without a backstory of some sort tells you nothing except that someone took the time to learn how to use a paint program.

</soapbox>

--Baloo

------------------
Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.
--Mark Twain
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I admit that some of my posts were actually close to spam. On the other hand I have posted only when I had to present something new or unusual and it wouldn't have made much sense to copy and paste everything to the small column of a forum thread.

I think it's no spam if the link is presented as an incentive for further discussion.

Spam: "Hey, I've got pictures of every Federation starship".

No spam: "Could you check these ship specs on my site."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: If you want to see a really cool website with amazing pre-TOS ship designs and extremely detailed back stories filled with political infighting, sex, and bribery and interstellar intrique done by a really, really clever guy...

I'm sorry, modestly prevents me from continuing.

Er, is this spiced ham?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps