Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Work-in-progress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Work-in-progress
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following ship (working name: Hiryu) is supposed to be a quantum-slipstream drive ship.

The write-up will have to wait until I can find out more about how the Q-S drive is supposed to work. Currently, there's a lot of disagreement about how fast it is and how it works. The design above is derived from my Dragon class destroyer -- I figured they'd want to use a tested configuration first and then figure out how to make things work better from there. After all, the earliest jet planes looked just like prop planes at first (sans propellers, of course), until they started modding the airframes to take advantage of the engine's capabilities.

BTW, since this is a work-in-progress, I will entertain suggestions from the peanut gallery regarding configuration, layout, etc. I started with the Dragon class hull (not a direct copy, but an 80% smaller pic) because I understand that Q-S drives work best with streamlined ships.

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 26, 2000).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!!!

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a schematic of the Dauntless. I copied the general proportions, but added a few modifications, to include a photon cannon emitter forward. I still don't know what to do for a write-up, but I suspect that the Hiryu will be a "flying test-bed" for the Q-S drive.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 24, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Version 3:

--Baloo

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFLMAO@front view*

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the first one the best.

Fabrux: Care to explain why you're doing that??

------------------
E-mail Dot at: [email protected]

(-=\V/=-)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Hmph!

The first one looks way too much like the Dragon class:

I figure if the Hiryu uses Dragon class components, it would probably delete the EQT launchers in favor of more conventional armaments, and would probably require addidional internal components for the Q-S drive.

The second Hiryu proposal looks too "fat" to me in the profile (side) view.

The third one uses the hull of a Dragon class destroyer as the starting point, but adds a "blended" secondary hull (more internal space for the Q-S drive) with a larger deflector/sensor array and external nacelles specifically designed to work with the quantum slipstream propulsion system. I like the third one. Fabrux: What's funny about the front view?

--Baloo

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine a Slipstream vessel would have all of it's exterior components condensed as much as possible. To reduce strain, or whatnot.

Perhaps you could pull the nacelles in the Third version closer to the hull, thus allowing the hull to pass along with less effort, and perhaps removing Fabrux's 'silly front view.' (I think it looks cool.)

I wish I had 1/10th the ideas you do, Baloo. Well, I do, I'm just extraordinarily lazy, and can't use Photoshop.

Anyway, keep up the zounds of great ideas!

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe.. I'm laughing at the front view with those little nacelles and narrow pylons. It looks funny...

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Ultra Magnus: Nearly all my ship designs start off as an MS-Paint bitmap. I start with a blank "sheet" at 640x480 dimensions, because I have my monitor set to the best compromise it can manage, 600x800 pixels and 64,000 colors (or something like that). The image is enough smaller than my screen that I don't have to work on a nacelle a bit at a time, and the dimensions of the vessels are such that I can measure the drawing by doing a line along the length, width, or height and noting the length along that dimension (and immediately <ctrl> Z-ing the line once I have the measurement).

If I have a difficult cut-and-paste (such as putting a nacelle partly below the saucer) I switch to Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and perform that operation. Only after the line drawing is complete do I save the drawing and move to PSP to finish it. (Which is not to say that I don't save the drawing several times before I get to this stage. )

The first thing I (try to) do is save the drawing as a GIF, then increase the colors to 16 million (or whatever the maximum is). If I don't do things that way, I risk saving a colored version of the bitmap, and should I want to use elements of that ship in a later drawing, it's really tough trying to remove the colored bits. Raising the # of colors to maximum is important, because you can't do some things in PSP (or they work cockeyed) unless you do that.

I fill in all the colors, then replace the white background of the picture with a godawful pink that I use for no other purpose. I change the background color to that pink, reduce colors to 256, and make the background color transparent. Then I save the picture (a step, I'm ashamed to admit, I still sometimes forget -- it's very frustrating to lose an hour or so's work to an act of omission!)

It isn't hard to come up with new ideas, either. The more you try, the easier it gets. For me, the hardest part is to come up with a type of ship I haven't done before. Once I know what kind of ship I want to do (and what era it's supposed to belong to -- Pre-TOS, TOS, Movie Era, TNG, or later) I know about how big to make it and what I want it to look like. Sometimes I like elements of a ship enough that they inspire a successor ship.

I've also noticed I seem to have most of my ship ideas during the winter, so perhaps it's just a symptom of a mild form of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Perhaps I feel compelled to sit before the softly-glowing computer monitor during the short hours of winter. I have noticed some correlation between bouts of depression and creativity, so I halfway suspect that whenever I create a new ship, It's either a warning sign or perhaps self-administered therapy?

Fabrux: The nacelles are tiny in comparison to the rest of the ship because that's the way it is with the Dauntless. The primary hull is HUGE compared to the secondary hull, and the nacelles appear to be almost vestigial.

--Baloo

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 27, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Hiryu v3.01:

Version 3.01 has larger nacelles, thicker, angled pylons, is stretched 10 meters, and has rounded (very slightly) corners in the top view.

--Baloo

P.S.: Since no one can agree on how Quantum Slipstream works, I speculate that it's like transwarp (as described in VLV 8. The Dauntless provided important clues with regard to how to stabilize the artificial wormhole created by the transwarp drive, reduce or eliminate the shear stresses between quantum realities and eliminate adverse time dilation effects. The Hiryu is a test-bed to demonstrate the technology.

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 27, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's more like it! Looks way better now.

------------------
E-mail Dot at: [email protected]

(-=\V/=-)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Here's the finalized version:

Hiryu class fast cruiser

Click on the image and the description opens in a new page.

--Baloo

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks cool!

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Read the description. The illustration is only half of the story (perhaps less).

--Baloo

[Post-edit P.S.: Besides, I've probably made some grammatical or factual errors I won't catch until 6 months after the fact unless someone points it out to me now. Please check out the description, if only to proof-read it!

Thank you. ]

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 26, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps