Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Kestrel class: TOS/Pre-TOS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kestrel class: TOS/Pre-TOS
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a new ship I designed.

Believe it or not, I first sketched this ship before First Contact came out. So, while it may look like a "TOS-ized" Sabre, it's actually an original design. I had intended it to be an early Pre-TOS design and used engines from one of my Starfleet Museum ships from the 2170s. However, except for the engines, it could be from any pre-movie era. How old do you think it looks?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited April 06, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks definitely later than the Daedalus class. It would probably fit in around the 2210-2240 period (just prior to the introduction of the Constitution class).

--Baloo

------------------
"Tourist comes into town, big seafood buff.
He gets into a cab, asks the driver, "Where can I get scrod?"
Cabbie turns around, looks at him. "Bud," he says, "I've been asked that many times, many ways. But that's the first time I ever heard it asked for in the pluperfect subjunctive."
-- Old Joke
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the Sabre, and let people make guesses about what was your inspiration.

I guess it's rather newer than the Moskva, about 2190 in our timeline.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me like! It's a good rendering too! The fact that it reminds me of the Sabre class doesn't really bother me though. Why shouldn't it?

I think it would fit in nicely in the TOS time line with just a few adjustments: It looks rather too streamlined for a TOS ship. Maybe if you made the secondary hull a little more cylindrical, it would fit in better. I don't think I'd like the design quite as much, but I think it would fit in better...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't all the starships have different insignias in that time? If so, this ship is wearing the Enterprise logo!

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite, Prakesh.
The inner department symbol remained the same AFAIK, whereas the badge itself changed. For example in the Original Series, the Enterprise had a delta, starbases had a sunburst, and the Exeter had a rectangle.
(I think - I don't have my Encyclopedia to hand. Correct me if you like!)

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starbuck, I think you're right. For instance, the Exeter had its rectangle thingy with the little starburst down in the corner I believe. The star was for science I think. In fact, the signage for the TOS era ships didn't include a "ship's logo" like the TNG era's delta. So if anything is "wrong" with the signage, it is the fact that there is a graphic in the first place. However, if this were a science ship...I suppose we could overook it

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually in the TOS days, the star signified the command division not the science division. The science division had what appears to be two interacting circles. The ships' logo on TOS ships supposedly were a boomerang shape graphic.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The command star is just a bit of non-canon liberty-taking. I figured that the star might be used as a general starfleet ship pennant. I used it for my other ships of the same era. The red stripes used on the Daedalus were too boring for me.

Regarding the era, I agree it looks later than I had originally intended, perhaps in part to the streamlining. I guess I'll need to swap out the engines. Thanks for the comments.

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is your first work I've seen. Very very cool.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Thanks, Fed Shipmaster! Go to the Starfleet Museum in my signature. Lots more ships there along with a few dozen ship's patches and some 3-D renders by Thomas Pemberton. (Also a lot of text, but you can ignore that.)

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll delete all the webspace-consuming text.

I was thinking for quite a long time (in pre-internet times) that the starship pennant of the Enterprise was rather an arrowhead than a boomerang. So I thought the other ships (of which we have never seen any close enough) would have pennants corresponding to their individual badges too. However, the boomerang is definitely a different sign, and I tend to believe that all TOS ships have it. As for the pre-TOS ships, the "command star" is a nice idea. Maybe this was preserved as command sign when the new pennant (namely the boomerang) was introduced.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Regarding the "boomerang," I remember that in a TOS episode, maybe "Tribbles," you can see the boomerang on the wall behind an admiral talking to Kirk on a monitor. I'll have to check this, though. If so, the boomerang must be a sort of Starfleet symbol.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I remember those "fabric" emblems in the background. There might have been a boomerang in at least one episode.

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think the boomerang and the red stripes are were Starfleets version of pinstriping in the pre TOS and TOS days. The Daedalus Class ships in the encyclopedia show a very similar design along their hulls.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps