Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » LEGO Defiant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGO Defiant
ScottKey
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK people. Here's how it goes. I've got this wild idea to make the USS Defiant scale to the Lego minifigure. Yall probably think I'm crazy right about now, and rightfully so. This project will eventually cost several thousand dollars and will take years upon years. I've been stocking up on the Legos for a while now, but I've still got nowhere near the amount I'm going to need. Here's the plan so far. It will be built in modules so that it can be taken apart if need be. Each module will have several decks whereas they come apart similar to the fashion of Lego's Millenium Falcon. The model will eventually be about 16 feet long and about 12 feet wide. I believe it will also be about 2 and a half feet high.
Now here's the tricky part. Where do I build such a large model? The idea to use my garage has surfaced on numerous occassions. The only problem with this idea is that it is currently a mess, and I'd have to clean it, which could conceivably take a very long time. Hey, I never said i was the cleanest guy out there, just the laziest. Once the garage is completely clean, I feel I can really get to work. Right now, all I've really been able to do is do some rough mock up models that have actually turned out pretty good.

I believe each minifig would be 6 feet tall. I'm not sure if I did get the dimensions of the ship correct. It was just a guess based on some measurements I took a while back.
One great idea I recently had for turbolifts was to incorporate the lagre circular pieces from Lego's Droid Escape set. I was never quite sure how I was going to make the turbolifts, but now I've got an idea where I can start from.

Also, I have created the Defiant's bridge before, however due to a slight accident, it was destroyed. That's really not that big of a deal though, because now I can do it again and incorporate a lot of new ideas into it.

Anyways, if any of yall have any ideas that I might incorporate into this undertaking, feel free to respond. I know I can use all the encouragement and advice I can get on this project.

What I really want to know is if anyone has any tips on how I might be able to bild some areas of the ship. I just want to keep my options open and get as much input on this so that it can be the best that it possibly can be.

Scott

IP: Logged
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a minifig?? Got any pics of the mockups to show us?

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe he is referring to the 1-1/2 inch little men that come with Lego vehicles, and that if those men were scaled up to six feet, he'd be able to figure out how big his Defiant would have to be.

------------------
"Although I do not know how World War III will be fought, I do know how World War IV will be fought - with rocks and clubs." -Albert Einstein

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lego people are 42mm tall (I just now measured one myself). Therefore, a 560' Defiant would end up 3.92m long (12'10").

------------------
8164 7644 8724 6991+360 8164 8724 6541 8164 7239

ScottKey
Ex-Member

This is why I plan on building this thing in my garage. And no, I currently have no pictures. However, I will once I can find a camera.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM DEFIANT LENGTH GOD

FEAR MY WRATH

THE DEFIANT IS 120M LONG

THAT'S AROUND 400 FEET

BUT, HEY, IT'S YOUR MODEL

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Performing this operation on replicated CDs results in blue sparks that dance along the CD, leaving fractal-ish patterns etched into the reflective aluminum. For those of you not with the program, this also renders the CD unreadable." - CD-R FAQ

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, here are a cuple problems with the 120M lenth. The first of those is that the damn canon cutaway is wrong. Lok at the windows on the underside of he ship, there are clearly two decks there. Whoever did that okudagram ought to be slapped. Look at this pics:

Furthur evidence that you can't even trust canon references:
http://www.maximumdefiant.com/multi/visual/stfc.html

According to the pics on that page, the Defiant must only be one deck tall. Star Trek has gotten very sloppy lately.

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... unless the ship was designed by one of those funky new-age architects that put windows on the tops and bottoms of rooms...

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

ScottKey
Ex-Member

Wait, isn't the Defiant supposed to have 4 decks? Also, aren't the measurements 170.68 x 134.11 x 30.1 meters?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[smacks head]

Oh no, here we go AGAIN...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

ScottKey
Ex-Member

Hey, I'm just following the DS9 Tech Manual. Also, it's my model that I'm going to make, so I can make the measurements whatever I damn well please.

So we really don't need an arguement now on the ship specs.

[This message has been edited by ScottKey (edited December 27, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*SCREAMS IN AGONY AND PAIN*

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Performing this operation on replicated CDs results in blue sparks that dance along the CD, leaving fractal-ish patterns etched into the reflective aluminum. For those of you not with the program, this also renders the CD unreadable." - CD-R FAQ

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, since when are those windows?

Oh, and also, from the last time this came up here:

Q: I must know; how long IS the Defiant?

A: 171 meters, per the DS9 Technical Manual. 120 meters per Frank. Which is correct? That depends on your point of view, as well as your proximity to Frank. (Essentially, the Defiant was often shown to be 120 meters long by the Visual Effects crew, but it is officially 171 meters based on other data.)

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swore I'd never get involved in this, but...

In "Sacrifice of Angels", the Defiant is shown flying in darned close proximity to a couple of Miranda-class ships. You can see there that the Defiant is about as long as a Miranda is wide. Since the Miranda shares the same saucer width as the Constitution refit, it also shares its width: 170 meters.

I'm sticking with that. And I live in Canada, far, far away from most of you guys.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

ScottKey
Ex-Member

Wow, look at what I started. Besides, the longer it is, the more rooms I get to add in my creation. I think it's time to get back to some concept building. Peace.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps