Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » LEGO Defiant (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGO Defiant
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it is size that matters, why not go straight for the Miranda? She's about as big as the supposed 170m Defiant, just with bigger and farther-out nacelles. And she's got ten decks or so to play with... The circular shape is a pain, though.

I'd probably go for Voyager. With the landing legs, one wouldn't even need a stand (one would need lots of ballast in the nacelles, though). If the Defiant is a million bricks, the Voyager might be five million...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know - everything would work out just FINE if those WERE windows... that WAS an airlock at the front where the deflector dish is - and that the bridge actually MATCHED the bridge-y looking shape on the top of the ship... then the impulse engines would fit perfectly in those little pyramidal shapes at the aft of the ship also...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: Whereabouts in Canada do you live? I hail from New Brunswick.

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah!
http://frankg.dgne.com/sfsd/defiantlength/soa1.jpg

Measure it. At most the Defiant is ~140m.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Performing this operation on replicated CDs results in blue sparks that dance along the CD, leaving fractal-ish patterns etched into the reflective aluminum. For those of you not with the program, this also renders the CD unreadable." - CD-R FAQ

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: I hail from the frozen wastelands of Calgary, Alberta. Got five $&%$#@*#!!! inches of wet snow dumped on me yesterday. Nearly killed myself shoveling the driveway. Vented said frustration on passing kids with snowballs.

Frank: Yes, I've read your arguments towards the 120m length. I guess I just like my ships big.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explain this one away, saucer freaks...

If the Miranda uses the same circular saucer shap as the refit Constitution...& the Connie saucer is 141.7 meters abeam....

THEN HOW IN THE HIGH HOLY NAME OF KAJA DO YOU GET A 170-METER LENGTH?!?

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited December 28, 2000).]

ScottKey
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so it's 120m, that's fine by me. Another question now; are there any blueprints out there other than in the DS9 Tech Manual?
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was this really nifty cutaway drawing done in the early stages of the Defiant's design, which placed the bridge in the nose section, and some sort of crew/troop compartments where the torpedo launchers ended up. I've seen it on the net a few times, but not recently...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I think your own picture disproves your theory:

Notice the sahdow from the Miranda class ship's starboard nacelle on the Defiant's port nacelle. The Defiant is behind the Miranda class ship. It is close, though, you can even see the shadow from the Miranda's saucer on the bow of the Defiant. Correct that for perspective and rotation, and you wind up with a defiant slightly LONGER than the diameter of the saucer. A length aroun 160/170 meters is not impossible, and certainly more likely than 120, if you go by the evidence on the ship itself.

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you correcting "for perspective and rotation"?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"That's the last time I have a headcheese hoagie before bedtime." - Leonard Nimoy

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can do it in your mind... its not that hard - to get a rough idea when all you're doing is comparing the length of the Deffie to the diameter of the Mir's saucer...

Also, yeah - we have that picture - but what about other pictures?

I think now that the Deffie is longer than 120 but shorter than 170m

I think we should just totally ignore the entire DS9 Tech Manual - too many inconsistancies...

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the blueprints in the TM, actually. With a ship as small as the Defiant, it's nice they were able to provide such detailed plans.

Yo, Vod, any word yet? Any pictures? We're dying to know, man!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: In that picture, the length of the Defiant is almost exactly the same as the diameter of the closer Miranda's saucer. Therefore, since the Def. is actually farther away, it has to be bigger than the diameter of the Mir.'s saucer.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps