Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Canon Sectors\Systems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canon Sectors\Systems
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, for my stellar cartography section I have Teran sector and Bajoran sector and as well as the systems in question, but I don't have much of anything else, so I was wondering if anybody knows other canon sector or system that I have to include.

--------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sector 001
Sector 3-0
Sector 3-1
Sector 23
Sector 39J
Sector 401
Sector 1385
Sector 1607
Sector 2520
Sector 19658
Sector 21305
Sector 21503
Sector 21505
Sector 21947
Sector 37628

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what became of the Sternbach/Okuda effort to hammer out some sort of universally consistant sector labeling system.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I heard last, it had been scaled down to creating a semi-plausible system of coordinates for use in Voyager (over which Rick had some control). Then again, I can't say I noticed any systematic features in the "grid" numbers mentioned in the episodes. Worse still, the word "grid" seemed to refer both to spatial coordinates and to Borg hierarchy sublevels.

As for the above sector-number list, I'd forget all about "sector 3-0" and simply call it "sector 30". The reference originally was verbal, so you cannot confirm the presence of a hyphen there...

Anybody with an Encyclopedia or a Chronology should be able to take on another hobby project - trying to figure out which of the above sectors are associated with which episode and location. Have fun! (I didn't - there's very little logic there in the end results)

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we one could just point to a site which has done all this already: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/locations/

Have fun

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My interest in this is not just to name all the sectors and system, but to develop a picture of what each sector and system look like base on visual displays on computers, visual reference on the main viewer, and comments through out the episode. I propose a group that would try to nail down some of these facts. I realize that at the wim of our favorite producers our findings would be periodically proven false, but I believe that the less common system will never be revisited, so we need not worry in this regard.

Any thoughts?

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one would love to be involved in the visual conceptualization of what a standard sector 'looks like'. and then adapting same o fit any given descibed sector. I assume we're talking about a 20 ly cube?

Insofar as 'mapping' near space-I don't know where I rad this, but one has to assume that the Federation is quite different that other Star entities. It doesn't have a border. It has an ever-expanding frontier. Engulfed within are various member stars, member star groups, neutrals, uncontacted systems (Prime Directive), hostile stars and systems/empires (each with a neutral zone) etc. In fact, giventhe early dates of contact with the Romulan and Klingon Empires, they must either be large "indentations" within the quasi-spherical Federation-explored space, or fully engulfed smaller sphericals. In the latter case, they would have the right to explore space and systems outside their own Empire as much as we do. Witness Organia-which was outside Klingon space, but about to be conquered by it.

The diagram would be 3d-isometric, symbol-technical. What details would or would not be shown-captioned? What colors should be utilized?Lots of room for ideas and arguments.

Cool challenge. Might be better if we used Director or Flash to enable the viewer to 'toggle-on/off' various details.

Am I thinking too big Bear?

If you ant a volunteer - you have one. This project could kick ass. And it would provide a change of pace from Starship Deck Plan design.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that's bugged me has been the 20 ly sector size... I mean, why? It seems so... arbitrary. One would think in the good little metric world of Star Trek they'd be based on decimalized parsec spreads or something... While I'd be willing to suggest they could be a Vulcan concept or something where math might work in a different base and the distance light travels in the Earth's solar orbital period an irrelevant number, the very fact Earth is in Sector 001 indicates it's probably a human system.

Another thing: Might sector borders be based on degrees (or radians) around the galaxy, and thereby by ever-so-slightly non-cubic?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that light-years are totally Earth-based. After all, what planet's "year" is it based on? Exactly...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Parsec is earth-based too. I like the idea of a galactic-based parsec.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

bear
Member # 124

Keep in mind nailing down sectors and systems doesn't only mean distance calculations...

Ok, what we need than is some kind of galactic constant that can be used to reference the passage of time...right?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the revolution of (the outer arms of) the Milky Way galaxy itself as a measure of time?
IIRC, it takes about 120 million years for it to turn around.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the little am is on the three, and the big arm.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten:
Arrrggg!!!
Thank you.

Bear:
Re my suggestion; interested?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

bear
Member # 124

Definitely, where do you want to start? I might try to suggest that we keep the designs to simple charts at the moment, similar to those displayed in the ds9 tech manual, but I like to say there are always possibilities. I have done some charts in this manor, but they lack the detail I think we could achieve.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps