Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Canon Sectors\Systems (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canon Sectors\Systems
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried building 3d grid interface in which the user would manipulate the galaxy, but it proved too time consuming. I think a stellar cartography similar to the one shown in Generations would probably be our best choice. We could build it using Macromedia Flash. Farther down the road it would be nice to develop a way to plot courses and calculate ETA based on different warp factors.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concur on using a "galactoc view" - possibly as the index- and use iso view for each sector. I'd use Macromedia Director instead of Flash myself - justas easy to do - and you can have Shockwave.

Could you come up with a "dummy" sector - so many stars at such and such coordinates - whattheir Types and (if any) systems are - plus any stellar features (such as nebulae).

We could start with Sector 001.

I havesome ideas regarding color schemes and layers. How do I post artwork to you?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stellar Cartography

We could sign up for a free webpage and just share the account.

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: bear ]

--------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got that Okudan wallmap image for reference when you need it. There's also this, which I posted here...or in another thread. Whichever. If you're trialing with 001, you'll need that site.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bear
Member # 124

Very Interesting...Shik

--------------------
Access Password
47at

bear
Member # 124

Trek: give me a little time to nail down the grid.

--------------------
Access Password
47at

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear & Shik:

Cool.

Don't forget, we need not only the primary stars within 001 - we may also need the red dwarves. We will make them on another layer - optional viewing. (Why include red dwarves? Wolf 359).

Are there any interesting astro phenomena within "our" sector?

Is Sol in the center of 001? Sure would make the math easier! Frankly, I don't know of any phenomena within 10 ly. (Although Trek may have mentioned some (Regula nebula? How far was it?).

Regarding using ly as a measurement; Starfleet is primarily run by those pesky hairless apes (us). Other species could easily utilize their own measurements by simple computer transposition. However, the urge to explore in the Federation seems to be most virulent within H. Sapiens - and he who makes the charts, decides on the units. So if we choose to employ a 3d grid system based on 20 ly - why not?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Sol is in the center of Sector 001. TBoBW seemed to suggest that, when the E-D entered Sector 001, they were also entering the Sol system at the same time. Also, IIRC this was after they had already been at Wolf 359, meaning that that star can't be in Sector 001. So, Sol is probably on the very edge of Sector 001, an edge that also corresponds to the alpha/beta quadrant border (it would be kind of silly for that to divide a sector, anyway).
Treknophyle
Member # 509

Noted and Logged.

But... but... but...

It would certainly be easier if Sol were in the center - we could use existing star coordinates.

(whine, snivel...)

Is there anything canon which categorically states that Sol is NOT at the center of 001?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from what I just mentioned? I don't think so.

But you can still use real star coordinates. What has the orientation of the sector boundaries got to do w/ that?

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Present star catalogues utilize XYZ based upon Sol.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's better to use "galactic" coordinates. That way, your axes actually run parallel/perpendicular to the galactic plane, rather than at all funky angles.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i could do some graphics if you want.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps