Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Norway Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Norway Class
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've sort of finished it, but this one fell by the wayside for a time.

-

Does anyone know what happened to a guy called Ahkileez? As I was in contact with him whilst making this ship a while back, but he seems to have disappeared, both from here and on email...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda looks a little to organic-y looking for this. Make it a little more clunky, sorta.
IP: Logged
Ferg
Ex-Member

I think it looks great, considering how ugly the Norway Class ship is. Good job!
The Defiant
Ex-Member

Forgot to mention it was good. But my first post still stands.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.

few points:

-We worked out over on the tech board - for Captain Amasov's schematic - that there are no 'nacelle grills' It's just 'grey hull - although the hull on the bottom halves of the nacelles are quite white

Nacelle:

|^^| <-- greyish
|__| <-- whitish

Yeah, and it is a bit "smooth"?

Other than that - nice. I'd like to see what you've interpreted for the underneath view.

Oh, Just one more point, the nacelles don't 'reach' below the saucer the are visible ABOVE the saucer if you were looking at it front on.

But, yeah it's nice!

Andrew

[ June 04, 2002, 22:17: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers, yes the nacelles are visibale above the saucer/arrowhead, and yes it is a little smooth and organic, but I was doing this variation of the Norway for Ahkileez, and to his customized specifications. This was all for his RPG site (Take note, I do not normally take requests, but this a favour from a long time ago, now he seems to have disappeared).

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you after your last email. I've had a string of crazy weeks IRL, and been plagued with computer problems, and some things fell thru the cracks. Including this it would seem.

Kinda sucks to have someone disappear after you've done something for them (I know, it's happened to me before as well) and I apologize for that. I'm really ecstatic with the work you've done. And proud of the "Sharikahr" on the side of her .

Thanks bunches man!

Ahkileez

[ June 15, 2002, 07:04: Message edited by: Ahkileez ]

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Good to see you back again, I simply thought you'd gone off line...

--------------------

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Here's a retextured version of this ship:

-

I think this is the one Trek ship I'm not at all passionate about. I think this design was probably thrown together quite hastily for First Contact.

--------------------

The ASDB

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' really sweet...but a couple of things to add in:
The bridge and surrounding superstructure should be more forward- almost to that "deflector trench".
The saucer is mossing some pinstriping and RCS thrusters nut that's nothing major. [Wink]

When I built my model of the Norway I went with the smae kind of deflector that Voyager has on it's nose. Near as I can tell, the "trench deflector" was first created by ASK Models for their rendition, then Fact Files used it and finally Nova hobbies also used a varaition of it.
The top view from the Encycloprdia seems to lean more toward the flat "intrepid style" secondary deflector built into the saucer.
Whatever you personally prefer, of course.

I have not seen the "engineering block thingie" behind the bridge raised like that before.
All the other versions I've seen have that part recessed.
Kinda cool though. [Cool]
Where ya putting your impulse engine(s)?
Some have two on the back sides of the "arrowheads" with a small shuttlebay inbetween the naelle pylons but my version is the opposite: two big shuttlebays and a galaxy-style impulse engine between the nacelles.

My version for your approval:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1301771&uid=657989

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO the saucer looks a little too small. You might want to make the saucer a little farther foward. Other than that looks really neat 2 me.

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often wondered if the Norway could be a container tug, in the same vein of the old Ptolemy-Class. It would certainly help explain the supposedly variable position nacelles and the small number of armaments.
It might be interesting if you built some containers with the same crossection as the aft face of the 'saucer' and have them docked under the pylons.

As for the impulse engines, my instinct would be to have a small pair at the upper-aft end of the pylons, similar the the Akira's.
Either that or have a long impulse thruster strip along the aft edge of the pylons.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NICE! But - yeah - there is something about the saucer that doesn't look right - too smooth I think. I think the Norway is a bit more... angled - i.e. if you ran your hand along it's top surface - it'd be faceted - not smooth.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

It is a little smoother and more rounded, but the ship dimensions are about right, with the exception of the deflector 'pit' being slightly narrower, and the armed structure around the bridge being a little shorter. I built this originally for Ahkileez who specified certain amendments to the original design, so you could perhaps call it a slight variant of the Norway Class (he also wanted it grey anyway, hence the earlier version).

Other views: (revealing impulse engines)

-

-

-

--------------------

The ASDB

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.
I DEFINITELY prefer the nacelles "down".
If you make the ventral side, please don't use the terrible version from Fact Files!
I used the ventral side to add some nessities:
two phaser strips, two transporter emitters and eight Sovvie-style lifeboats.

My variant ( USS Pike ) also has a Sovvie quantum torpedo launcher down there- slightly recessed so as not to be obvious. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps