Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Olympic MSD (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Olympic MSD
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*notices that starships seem to be powered by Smiley faces now...*

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you need is love.

About that side door: on the Voyager, all the docking ports on the primary hull rim are inset this way. Rick S has suggested that these doors can admit bulky cargo (which would be a good idea, since they apparently *are* used for cargo loading - note how a cargo bay was de-Borgified in "Scorpion II" by opening the side door). It would make quite a bit of sense for the whole inset area to be a sliding door, with the docking port moving along with it.

This doesn't mean one should drive shuttlecraft through this door, even if it were big enough. Not all the big rolling or sliding doors on a real warship are for taking in helicopters or boats or ACVs, even when big enough.

Given the nature of the Pasteur's mission, I think the ship could make do with a *drastically* smaller computer. Perhaps there wouldn't even be a centralized computer core in the spherical hull section at all - it could be wholly dedicated to the mission, and all the engineering paraphernalia stowed away in the secondary hull.

If the sphere needs to carry support systems, these could be on the decks that lack windows, a bit above the lower phaser level on the lower hemisphere, and on deck 8 and 11 or so on the upper hemisphere.

If the ship is going to receive lots of casualties, I suggest lots and lots of transporter platforms, too. And the shuttlebay could have large adjoining triage facilities and be optimized for rapid offloading of the wounded. Say, there could be a priority turboshaft from the shuttlebay to the surgery decks in the main hull.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lycos. [Mad]
My server seems to really hate yours, Lobo.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
All you need is love.

About that side door: on the Voyager, all the docking ports on the primary hull rim are inset this way. Rick S has suggested that these doors can admit bulky cargo (which would be a good idea, since they apparently *are* used for cargo loading - note how a cargo bay was de-Borgified in "Scorpion II" by opening the side door). It would make quite a bit of sense for the whole inset area to be a sliding door, with the docking port moving along with it.

When I first saw Scorpion II, I knew this was an error... the effects shot for the ejecting of the borg from that hatch is SO wrong. The borg are WAY too tiny for that 'hatch'. The round hatch is a docking-bay hatch - as seen used in "Caretaker" when docked at DS9.

The effects guys stuffed up. That area is only roughly a deck high. They've crammed god-knows-what into that circle area.

And as for the Olympic, I reckon the saucer... err sphere can detatch in emergencies. (It'd look cool!) [Smile]

I also think there might be the possibility of having two warp-cores a la Voyager. (Don't ask me why!) [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: sphere separation

But how does it land? On perfectly level ground only? [Smile]

Re: two warp cores

To power up hordes and hordes of EMHs?

Timo Saloniemi

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The smilieface below the turbolift shaft, is that the psych. ward?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just terrific work. I would agree that most of the main mission-specific areas would be in the sphere. I can even see a whole deck devoted to a large scale trauma ward of some kind. I could even see the captain's quarters being housed in the secondary hull on this ship. Perhaps those four large windows in the lowest row at the front tip of the engineering hull?

Whatever the case, you're doing a bang-up job so far.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

Definitely! Ahem, but there's a better forum for this. Sorry about the late response. Moving now.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps