Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Optimus pix (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Optimus pix
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found THIS on AICN. Cleanest shots I've seen yet.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I see these, the more I like the design ethic. These are SENTIENT ALIEN MACHINES, after all. The concept that the original G1 guys look like they COULD turn into Earth vehicles even before they got there, is ludicrous (though admittedly this was reconned somewhat in the Dreamwave comics). Beast Wars got it right by showing their generic robot forms pre-Beastialization (or whatever), and Beast Machines also got it right by showing the Vehicons as non-terrestrial tanks and such with visible mouths and such (on Cybertron there's no need for disguise, so why not have a head in cycle mode?).

This is a logical extension of those ideas. You can SEE that Optimus is a decidedly non-Earth robot underneath truck parts that are essentially pasted on, which will shift to become a truck "shell" as the alien machinery underneath moves around inside it to accomodate the shape.

Also, this Optimus has a mouth, but under a classic Prime faceplate which presumably retract. Best combination, and far better than he various mouths that Optimus Primal got stuck with after his first body.

But essentailly, instead of the G1 "cars that change into robots" toy mentality, here we have robots that change into cars, done far better than ever before. I like.

Mark

[ September 05, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there's been something about the Prime design that not only seemed kinda... familiar, but also kinda... right. I wasn't able to put my finger on it until reading that article. It definitely has a Megas-ish vibe to it, whether intentional or not. I happen to like it.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the body- but hate the paintjob and that nose thing has to go....
Or maybe it's just the eyes not being the cool blue I remember that throws it for me...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of RoboCop 2, the black one. Like R2, I think this design shows too much exposed wiring and parts, too busy and Tribal-Gothicky, but perhaps it looks good when transforming.
They probably have assigned some of the small parts to slide and whirr into place nicely, like the beautiful and reinvented VF-0 Veritechs received new ways to better transform logically in "Macross Zero".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to OP's 'load'/'trailer' when he was in 'human form'?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He shot it into some kleenex.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "black" Robocop 2? There are two: the one in the movie of the same name, and the one in the "Prime Directives" miniseries, portrayed by a black actor. I'm gonna assume the former, which does has a lot of exposed mecahnics - something that never made much sense given how unarmored he was otherwise:

-

I did like how logical the design was otherwise, though - the two large drums on his chest, for example, were for his nuclear reactor and ammunition for the gatling gun on his arm.

Mark

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark said:
quote:
for his nuclear reactor
Well, his "nuke"-reactor anyway. [Smile]

I would like to see him in a metal exo-skeleton. That extendable punch-piston he has there on his left arm was cool, reminded me of the telescoping arm designs of the "Patlabor" mechas, specifically the Zero-type of the first movie, with its piercing-hands.

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I am so out of the loop that I didn't even know there was a Transformers movie being made until I read this thread! [Big Grin]

Having now watched the trailer on the movie site, I have to say that's the best explanation for Beagle 2's loss I've seen yet!

Hopefully the imagination and creativity suggested by the trailer will play out in the movie as a whole. I already sense a real danger that this turns into nothing more than an expensive CGI robot bashing flick with gorgeous, glossy and heavily choreographed action scene after action scene. That would be dull. I hope the movie will also have something to say, and dare I hope... incorporate some characterisation.

I speak as someone who, when he was knee high to a table leg, inhaled Transformers comics like they were oxygen.

Actually, I still have most of them stashed somewhere [Wink] They're a bit tatty though.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Bzzz! Bzzz! Bzzz!

http://static.flickr.com/89/239644309_0b59085569_o.jpg

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Complete with license plate crotch.

I wish the logos were far more prominent.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
Member # 205

Well Waka-wee-ouu-aaah! (isn't that how you pronounce the transformation sound?)

That thing would kick Robo2's head in I think. Unless he'd get his gun to bear.

Shik barged in and:
quote:
I wish the logos were far more prominent.
You know, looking at the X-Men movies, I am glad they didn't give those actors their actual costumes. I just am. Food for thoguhuta. Less is more.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...And one WAAAAYY OUT at PEARL!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I guess that's Bumblebee? Although, with the faceplate, maybe they ought to call him "Goldbug".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps