Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG: Grinding The Grist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG: Grinding The Grist
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NORSE! That'd be cool. Except for the occasional "Ragnarok" reference, I've not seen much Norse mythology (Ok, there's also Thor and Loki).

Hindu would be intersting. Maybe something besides Shiva or Kali though.

It would have been cool if they'd have taken say 3 or 4 gods and 3 or for legends from each culture and wove those into the Colonial mythos.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herb : I think you're wrong about the Iraq analogy breaking down. The Cylons claim they're there to make things better for the humans and spread "god's love" (which is maybe a bit like spreading "democracy"?). In reality, they're actually making the humans' condition horrible, but that doesn't seem to bother them. I'd say the Iraq analogy holds pretty strong.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd. Before the break, we were talking about parallels between BSG and occupied France. Now it's Iraq. I still say it's mostly because they used the word "insurgents", rather than "resistance" like in the webisodes.

As for Cally, I rewatched that scene today. It does raise a lot of questions. Right when she made her break, Tyrol said "What's she doing?", not something like "What's he doing to her?". They did switch back to the camera on Tyrol right at that moment, but there was nobody else around her right before or after. If she does turn out to be a Cylon, what do you think that will do to Tyrol's mental state, finding out that he's been fracking TWO Cylons! There is the possibility of the replacment for the "real" Cally, but I think that's a slim chance.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Are we beginning to see some sort of Cylon plot revolving around Tyrol? Boomer and Cally both rocked his boxers. Dean Stockwell was his shrink. Xena and Six need to get their hooks into him, too.

Another thing about that scene. Did anyone TiVo or otherwise record it? I missed the caption naming the extermination site.

And what I think would be awesome: Galactica heroically jumps back alone; and just as Our Heroes are about to get splattered across the upper atmosphere, a Raptor jumps in, sends a "you're right -- that explosion was worth checking out" message to their home ship -- and the Atlantia jumps in to help Galactica dent some chrome. With all the angst and things going from bad to worse to worser, a little audience gratification once in a while would be nice.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for me the analogy breaks down. The US didn't chase the Iraqis into some desolate waste simply to become an occupying force.

But no analogy is perfect.

Yes, we were talking about France before this season started. But, did the French resistance use these tactics? Suicide bombers?

WWII analogy would work too. Especially with the killing field scene, resistance and the cavalry coming back.

I've not heard of any Iraqi cavalry organized and coming back to save the day.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
NORSE! That'd be cool. Except for the occasional "Ragnarok" reference, I've not seen much Norse mythology (Ok, there's also Thor and Loki).

Hindu would be intersting. Maybe something besides Shiva or Kali though.

It would have been cool if they'd have taken say 3 or 4 gods and 3 or for legends from each culture and wove those into the Colonial mythos.

Well there are 12 tribes, so there's potential for non-Greek/Roman mythology based culture that we haven't seen yet, though I imagine they'd be in the minority. Or you could interpret any mention of Thor and Loki as just being aliases names of the lords of Kobol. Which is consistant with the colonials refering to the lords by both the Greek and Roman versions of their names. I'm not much of a mythology scholar but I think there is a supposed link between the Greek deity Athena and the Egyptian godess Isis.

That reminds me, is anyone else spotting the subtle and not so subtle hints that the 12 Cylon models are actually modelled after the 12 Lords of Kobol?

I'm at work right now so don't have the time to Wiki all the zodiac/olympian/Cylon assosiations, but off the top of my head I'd say Number-6 is an obvious candidate for Aphrodite (assosiated with Libra & Taurus), Leoben Conoy with his prophectic ramblings could be analogous to Apollo (assosiated with Leo). D'Anna Biers' is also very similar to Diana, the Roman name for Artemis (assosiated with Cancer) Goddess of the hunt, which matches with her vocation as a journalist and the fact she's the one looking for Hera.

I also read somwhere that Sharon's middle name is going to be "Athena", Goddess of wisdom, strategy, and war. assosiated with Virgo. Interestingly the Egyptian god Isis is also assosiated with Virgo, so there's an immediate link between Sharon & her child. there's also the bit where it's hinted that Sharon knew much more about what a Athena did on Kobol that isn't in she scrolls.

Some of this is a stretch, but there's enough to make me think the writers are laying in some material ahead of a larger plot.

quote:
Well, for me the analogy breaks down. The US didn't chase the Iraqis into some desolate waste simply to become an occupying force.

But no analogy is perfect.

Yes, we were talking about France before this season started. But, did the French resistance use these tactics? Suicide bombers?

WWII analogy would work too. Especially with the killing field scene, resistance and the cavalry coming back.

I've not heard of any Iraqi cavalry organized and coming back to save the day.

I think Iraq is only one amidst a great number of conflicts and occupations that have influenced this storyline, you could easily find parallels in 1940's France, the Wesk Bank, Vietnam, Northan Island, the Hundred Years War and dozens of others. The Iraq-esq elements only stick out because it's actually going on now.

[ October 17, 2006, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other mythology reference that I don't think anyone mentioned before is that Roslin said in the previous episode that it was "Mars Day". I don't remember the dialogue, but I believe she did say it was named after the god of war. Interesting that they inserted an element of Roman mythology after all these Greek references.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. How about Galen Tyrol? Of course, certain names from the original series have connotations as well, like Apollo, Adama, Cain, Gaius Baltar...

I wonder if they're going to deal with this self-contradiction the Cylons seem to engage in. They condemn suicide bombing, but Doral did exactly that on Galactica. They condemn cylon on cylon violence in almost the same breath that one of them shoots Caprica Six. They seem willing to kill Baltar in order to avoid being responsible for murder. Their entire purpose on New Caprica seems to have been lost somewhere. And I still get a kick out of someone in "Downloaded" commenting that humans don't value life as much as Cylons do, after they've killed twenty billion humans.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And I still get a kick out of someone in 'Downloaded' commenting that humans don't value life as much as Cylons do, after they've killed twenty billion humans."

I think one could argue that that is perhaps another dig at the political right in the US. The "culture of life" that has carried out two wars, killing hundreds of thousands of people, and counting.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One other mythology reference that I don't think anyone mentioned before is that Roslin said in the previous episode that it was "Mars Day". I don't remember the dialogue, but I believe she did say it was named after the god of war. Interesting that they inserted an element of Roman mythology after all these Greek references.
I think one of the upcoming episodes is titled "Tears of Jupiter", so as they've already reffered to Zeus by name, I think some of the Greek & Roman names might be interchangable.

quote:
Hm. How about Galen Tyrol? Of course, certain names from the original series have connotations as well, like Apollo, Adama, Cain, Gaius Baltar...
Well most of that is a reflection of the human culture. With the cylons everything is deliberate, they chose to have 12 models, give them certain names and character traits (though that last on is debatable). Point is there's some subtle hints at a larger story going on linking the Cylons, the (deities formerly known as) Lords of Kobol, the 13th tribe and the Cylon god.

Random guess time:-
One of the gods (not one of the 12) had a falling out with the others, took the 13th tribe to Earth, came back to Kobol, caused a dust up, an exodus ensued, after which the Lords abandoned humanity/died/went-all-uptight-and-Vorlon, leaving outcast god to declaire itself the "one true god".
After the Cylons became self-aware He wasted no time in putting his godly influence on them.

There's enough there that parallels some of early Judo-Christian mythology (13th lord= lucifer before the fall, Kobol= Eden etc.) to gell with the original BSG's Mormon roots to make it halfway plausible.
Later

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me the New Caprica arc allows a total re-boot of the "Who's a Cylon?" line of questioning.

Prior to this season, it was getting harder and harder to envisage anyone as a Cylon because everyone had done things that would seem to argue against them being a secret skin-job. Granted, they could be under even deeper cover than original Galactica-Boomer was, and not be aware of things they've done while the submerged personality was in control (ie they'd remember to dry themselves off and change clothes after going swimming in the ship's water tanks!) but it was getting to the point where to suddenly "out" them would be to do nothing but cheat the audience.

Now, all bets are off. Anyone who's ever been into the Cylon compound could have been replaced. That is, if the Cylons do actually replace people, which would mean that the "Cylonz 12 Varieties" rule no longer holds - if it ever really did at all. Example: Tigh could be; but the way they did the scene of his release from prison - that one-on-one with Cavill - would tend to suggest otherwise. So far, Ellen Tigh could also be, but I think if she was she'd have done a better job of nicking those papers. And so could Roslin. . .

There are plenty of reasons to suggest that Cally could have always been a Cylon (example: kiling OG Boomer would be to stop her talking, not for betraying Tyrol's trust), but if so they wouldn't have to replace her during the purge scene, would they?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
[QUOTE]One of the gods (not one of the 12) had a falling out with the others, took the 13th tribe to Earth, came back to Kobol, caused a dust up, an exodus ensued, after which the Lords abandoned humanity/died/went-all-uptight-and-Vorlon, leaving outcast god to declaire itself the "one true god".
After the Cylons became self-aware He wasted no time in putting his godly influence on them.

Would this 13th Lord look/sound like Patrick McNee? [Smile] My most fervent wish is for them to work in all the surviving actors from the original series. I swear I know that cast better than all the Treks put together...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I think they did consider having the one from the A-Team appear as the Cylon god as the cliffhanger to the 1st season.

Given what he's said about the show, I doubt they'll have him.

As for the rest, a quick IMDB search shows that only the old Tigh & Cassiopeia seam to be vaguely on the radar.

Speaking of old characters, I wonder why they didn't use the new Boxey for the New Caprica story line. I mean it'd be the first time where there's actually a good reason for him to be around, that is as a resistance member.

Perhaps they felt child soldiers would be one ugly real world war element too many...or they just forgot about the character.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Who knows where he went? Maybe the actor took a break from acting to finish school. In any case, the classroom scenes on New Caprica would have been the place to see him.

As for the Cally Cylon replacment vs. continutity error, my wife pointed out something. Remember later when Sharon tells Tyrol not to let the baby out of his sight (or something like that)? Gives it a whole new meaning if Cally *is* a Cylon.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Actually, didn't Sharon tell Tyrol to tell Cally not to let the baby out of her sight?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps