Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 3x05 "Collaborators" $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG 3x05 "Collaborators" $$$
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...

Tigh lost the beard, but he is kind of Ahab-y. It was really hard watching Jammer get spaced. And I'm glad Sam and Tyrol actually had rpoblems with what they were doing.

Baltar is finally in with the Cylons, and is facing the same execution for the crime of being human as his original namesake. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Lucy Lawless is hotter as D'anna than she ever was as Xena. Man...

I've always liked Gaeta, but his character has gotten a lot more depth thanks to the webisodes and these first few eps of this season. I liked how he wasn't about to beg for his life.

More after I've had a chance to gather my thoughts.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, for a few moments there, with the 3 days of dreaming and the Regen ship nearby, I thought Baltar had regenerated on that Basestar...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the interior look of the basestar, the red pulsing strips give the impression that the ship is watching everything. And why not? The raiders apparantly have a mind of their own, so why not the basestars.
Mostly I'm glad it wasn't all squishy walls and organic lights like we saw at the end of season one as that'd look too much like a Farscape ripoff.

As for the secret executions, it raises some difficult questions. I mean Zarek has a point, any public trial will eith become a witch hunt or a media circus. I'm not saying what they did was the best idea ever, but it's something I can see happening here in the real world.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Y'know, for a few moments there, with the 3 days of dreaming and the Regen ship nearby, I thought Baltar had regenerated on that Basestar...

No, that's NEXT week. [Wink]

I noticed the new Resurrection Ship, too. I also noticed that when Cylon Xena (btw: that was one hot costume!) mentioned the discussion of their vote, there were 3 in favor, and 3 against, with 1 undecided. That makes only 7 models, not 12. What's up with that?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The seven we've seen so far. Maybe the other five models aren't represented there, but busy elsewhere?

I want Patrick McNee!!

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVED the dress.

Ahem.

I think making Baltar a Cylon destroys the credibility/integrity of these last few episodes, as well as the dramatic impact of the Pilot.

Baltar's role was to be a Judas, someone betraying his own kind. To make him a Cylon (albeit a sleeper agent) would destroy that role.

Further, the whole scenes of the Cylon cabal threatening to kill Baltar, and even the possible exictuion hinted at in this episode wouldn't make sense if he were a Cylon.

And why would/should the Cylons continue the charade now? There is no need.

I did love the eye in the interior of the ship. At first glance, with the lights above and below the red stobe, it almost looked like the original Cylons from TOS and the reflective chrome. I thought it was a big original Cylon face at first.

The general amnesty was a good move, not something I would have done. It really was the only logical solution, with the only other choices being a clandesting Star Chamber approach or a public circus.

I did like Anders and Tyrol not liking to swallow what they were doing. Too bad they didn't think about it sooner. Gaeta's example illustrates why the secret circle wasn't the best idea either. If the defendants aren't allowed to defend themselves, then innocents will die as well as the guilty. Additionally, some guilty ones might go free. Further, the secret circle would have been open to corruption or turning the trials into their own witch-hunt.

From the previews I didn't expect Tigh to be part of the group. That was a twist.

I was reading the forum over at Cylon Alliance and all the anti-Moore posters there really going off about the anti-Bush/anti-American overtones to these shows. Apparently they didn't see the similarities to Vichy France and the Resistance in WWII.

Moving on...

Kara needs therapy. Lots of therapy. So does most of the fleet.

Interesting to see the survior count again. What was it at the end of last season? We're at 41K now.

5 Cylon basestars and 1 resurrection ship, Is that the entire fleet?

Where are the rest of the models? Why aren't they represented in the basestar? Are their 12 models? Who really did leave the note for Adama? Boomer?

Scenes from next week: The Cylons have decided that Earth is to be their new home? What happened with Caprica?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The count at the beginning of "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II" was 49,550. The population of New Caprica City was given as 39,192 at the end of the same episode. (source) But the city population doesn't include the people left up manning the ships in orbit. And don't forget the people killed on the 3+ ships destroyed when Cloud 9 got nuked. The count in "Collaborators" was 41,435 (and now minus Jammer and probably a few others).

Also: The Cylons abandoned Caprica, remember? They decided to start finding their own path rather than following the Humans. Except that plan seems like it's about to be dropped...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, seeing Jammer spaced was really tough. It's not like he was a random face they created for the episode - he was there from the beginning! So, you think what he was saying behind the glass was "Please don't kill off my character!" to the writers? [Big Grin]

I was also wondering where the other 5 models are. So if the Cylons *do* actually have a plan, does it include random subroutines? I'm not seeing any cohesive plan.

Did they say if Zarek will still become (or demoted to) VP? I was actually suprised that he'd give up the Presidency so easily. Or maybe he thinks he can get more done from behind the scenes, since not as many people are watching....

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also curious as to what has the Cylon's resources tied up so tightly - Six said that they were maxed out during the occupation of New Caprica (and if I remember right, I think Moore has said that season 3 will look into what the Cylons are up to in other areas besides dealing with the fleet) and it seems odd that the Cylons are suddenly feeling the pinch, when they've always had ships, resources and materials to spare before.

Could this be tied up with the 5 other Cylon models? Number 3 did say that consensus used to be easy, but was getting harder, presumably as each model started to form its own opinions about the best course of action. Could there be a Cylon civil war happening, with five models against seven?

As for Zarek I was surprised that he was so okay with the idea of not being able to remain president without the support of the military. Come to that I was surprised that Roslin was ok with the idea too, especially after her taking a stand in season 2 against what was essentially a military coup against the legitimately serving president. It just struck me as odd that now they were both sitting there acknowledging that the office of the president didn't mean much without Galactica's guns to back it up.

As for Zarek becoming VP, Roslin offered him the post before she found out about the secret trials and executions...I wouldn't be surprised if she took the offer off the table once she was in office.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's politically astute enough to know that Laura will get the popular vote given the enevitable backlash against all who were in the Baltar administration. Bottom line it's his best chance to retain some influence, which is his main motivation. I think he said as much in the episode.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if the backlash would hit Zarek quite as badly as all that - throughout all we saw of the Baltar administration during the occupation, Zarek never appeared to co-operate with the Cylons and was in fact put on the death list with Laura Roslin. If anything, he might be seen by the people of the fleet as the one honest man in the whole administration, who stood up to Baltar and the Cylons. Certainly he did enough for Roslin to be impressed with his courage...so I think he might have escaped the worst excesses of any backlash.

It's still not clear what capacity he appeared in at Laura's speech about amnesty - was he there as the newly nominated vice president, or as outgoing president? I still think Roslin would think twice about nominating him after finding out about the circle - and Adama would have a problem with him being one heartbeat away from the presidency.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Perhaps not, either way he knows Adama won't play ball while he's in the big chair.

For Laura's part I think she'd do well to keep her "enemy" close. As for the possibility that Zarek might have her offed, I doubt it, mostly for the exact same reason that he's stepping down (Adama) also the Vice Presidency gives him enough influence to effect the changes that he thinks are for the best.
That is assuming of course the offer is still open after they found out about his sanctioned executions. From a story point of view, I can't think of any existing character better suited to the roll and there is some wisdom in having a vice president that has an opposing point of view. Roslin is intellegent enough to know that the last thing she needs is a yes man.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, he could hold the fact that she tried to steal the previous election over her. It's not as though her hands are completely clean, either. She didn't even mention the secret trials and executions in her speech, did she?
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

I would think that Adama would still have a problem with Roslin naming Zarek as her VP candidate - if he's not willing to work with him as president, he's not going to want to take the chance on him getting back into the big chair, now is he? After all a single lucky shot from a Cylon raider punching a hole in one of the windows on Colonial One and it's bye bye President Roslin, hello President Zarek...if Laura does insist on following up on her offer to Tom and making him veep, it will be interesting to see how it affects her relationship with Adama.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone see the rift that is forming between Tigh and Adama? I think Tigh is growing jealous of Bill. To a certain extent he is justified considering all that he went through as resistance leader and then returning to Galactica only to have everyone cheer only for Adama.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps