Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 3x06 "Torn" $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BSG 3x06 "Torn" $$$
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was that brunette Cylon in the infected Base Ship? I think it was a Six, but I'm not sure. At any rate, I was almost expecting her to choke out "Someone set us up the bomb..."

Glad Adama slapped some sense into Starbuck. I approve of this Sharon getting the Athena name -- but I'll miss the Boomer callsign.

Cool seeing more of the inner workings of the Cylon side of things. What do y'all think of the "Minority Report"-esque CPU of the Base Ships?

And Our Beloved Producers are teasing us mercilessly with the "remaining five" humanoid Cylon models. What the hell is going ON with that?!

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was a Six.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hybrid reminded me somewhat of the Guild Navigators from Dune (the concept, not the look), though in truth it's probably more like the Leviathan pilots from Farscape. Either way it's quite a departure from the "cockroach" that sits inside the Raiders.

Anyone else notice how the Hybrid appeared to orgasum during an FTL jump? interesting concept. An here I was watching out for a dude with a big head and a very high chair shouting "speak centurion!" at everyone that happens to walk by.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Cool seeing more of the inner workings of the Cylon side of things. What do y'all think of the "Minority Report"-esque CPU of the Base Ships?

I thought it was quite awesome. Very high-tech, advanced to the point that it seems incomprehensible to us. Because that's what the Cylons are.
quote:
And Our Beloved Producers are teasing us mercilessly with the "remaining five" humanoid Cylon models. What the hell is going ON with that?!
I'm not worried. If this were Star Trek, that would've just been a throwaway line that wouldn't be revisited for eight years or so. *cough*KLINGONS*cough* But since this is Battlestar Galactica, you can bet that it's going to be an important plot point some time this season.

My guess is that they were all boxed for some reason. But what that reason might have been, I've got no clue.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also learn that Cylons regularly use something called 'projection', which is basically a form of augmented reality, and very likely exactly the same mechanic that lets Baltar 'see' his Six.

I really liked the behind the scenes feature on the Cylons. It's good that it's never really made clear how, why or if there is any hierarchy within the humanoid caste. We do get to hear about God again, and the Hybrids are definitely a cool (and freaky) idea.

I did find one thing odd... when they sent Baltar to the diseased Basestar, why do they jump in with their own Basestar? Doesn't the Raptor have it's own jump drive?

So.. is Baltar a Cylon? He himself asked that question, and Caprica didn't seem to like it. I suspect he might have a Cylon element in him (seeing as he can't seem to control his 'projections'), but he's not one of the twelve models (which would make him.. the thirteenth Cylon!).

What's the timeline for the Thirteenth Colony? I thought Cylons were made by humans *after* the colonies were settled? And even then, that the organic Cylons are a new thing, from after the first Cylon War.

If it was really the Earthers that left that disease capsule near the Lion's Head, who was it for?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might suppose that it was left by Pithia as she was an oracle that could forsee enough to know that Galactica would raid a Cylon refinery (Hand of God) and that Roslin would by dying of cancer.

On the other hand it may just be some strain of virus that has survived and mutated in the vacume and just happens to be leathal the the "genetic stock" that the cylons are made from. (more evidence that there's a link between the 12 models & the Lords of Kobol perhaps? Perhaps not.)

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that "this has all happened before" and there are quite a few people with precognitive powers, for want of a better description, it's quite possible that the capsule was left as long ago as the age of the object suggested(didn't look especially low-tech to me, but Baltar's obviously more familiar with this stuff...). Maybe it was even left during the original journey from Earth by the same people who wrote the scrolls.

Am I the only one who was knocked for six(so to speak) by a Sharon model randomly turning up naked? That girl really doesn't like keeping her clothes on...

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she was doing tai chi (or something like it) and I've frequently heard of people practising it naked. I had fun with Baltar's reaction.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, considering how he normally reacts...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm do you get the feeling that the Earthlings are perhaps aware of the cylons and are anticipating this invasion? As for "this has all happened before", does this mean that there were cyclons before the ones we know who tried to reach Earth? Would thay have a connection to those models that are not spoken about?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

My own guess (and this is just a guess) is that Moore's "Galactica" does NOT actually take place in the past (or present), as the original show seemed to. Instead, the whole idea of a "Thirteenth Colony" is actually a distortion of history, people mis-remembering the "first" exodus, AWAY from Earth.

That is, after the Earth got used up.... er, that is, once Humanity developed interstellar travel... a large chunk of people up and moved out, to a planet that came to be known as Kobol. Many thousands of years probably passed, then there was a conflict, and Humanity fled Kobol (the second exodus) to settle the Twelve Colonies.

Perhaps there really WAS a "Thirteenth Tribe," though, that (regardless of any other historical distortions) did try to make its way back to Earth. This could mean that that tribe left the little probe thingy, or even that the probe was first left on the way FROM EARTH. (Because I wonder just how Pythia managed to write down all the things that happened to the Thirteenth Tribe when there was no contact between them and the Twelve Colonies?)

Also, it could be that the probe was not a bomb at all, it just contains a little microcosm of life that's undergone millennia of cosmic radiation bombardment and mutation, and the fact that it's harmful to the Cylons is pure coincidence.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I think it's stated pretty clearly that the departure of the 13th tribe was sometime before that of the other 12, hence the image from Earth in the tomb of Athena and the writings of Pithia making their way back to Kobol.

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they left Earth, settled on Kobol, left Kobol to make 12 colonies but a 13th one decided to go back to Earth in the meantime?

And if thousands of years passed, shouldn't the technology be more advanced... wait that's Star Trek-ish of me.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you want to be Trek-ish, haven't we learned from Trek that recovering ancient probes is always a bad idea?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Well, remember that in the miniseries they mentioned that they DELIBERATELY designed Galactica to be low-tech.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps