Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » And so it begins... Again... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: And so it begins... Again...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree - on both points.

1. I think it's because the Brakiri are unusually smooth and green!

2. They always cast cute, petite women... I don't recall seeing a 'Big Bertha' type Minbari woman! [Smile]

Who are the entire members of the Non-Alingned Worlds and why don't we see the ships of some of the 'lesser known' members? Or are they all represented?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
...And minbari girls are cute. I don't know why I think that, with the baldness and ridges, but they just seem so unobtrusive and content.

But if you insult their fashion sense they're poke you with a needle...then go look for a bigger one.

As for the body types they cast; I think it's hrd to tell under all those robes, so I don't think all of them are necessarily petite. On the other hand perhaps all the 'big girls' are in the worker cast. The Religious cast being to disciplined to let themselves go and a fat warrior is another word for dead meat.

quote:
Who are the entire members of the Non-Alingned Worlds and why don't we see the ships of some of the 'lesser known' members? Or are they all represented?
I imagine most of the lesser known are such because they aren't as powerful/weathly/developed as the likes of the Brakiri, Drazi, Vree. So they probably don't have any cruiser sized warships and what they do have may be purchased from one of the other League/Alliance worlds. Of course the real reason is they only had a limited number of decent meshes to use in the battle scenes and at the time couldn't invest in designing & building any new ones.

There is president though, as the Pak'ma'ra were seen to be flying Drazi Sunhawks, which would probably mean they were purchasing them.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm Babylon 5: The Lost Tales????? JMS is really pushing the whole Lord of the Rings "referencing" isn't he?

The first two History of Middle Earth books were called the Book of Lost Tales parts 1 and 2.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the title "lost tales" has been used MANY times before Lord of the Rings was published in various contexts.
However JMS's love of Tolkien's work and his occasional borrowing of Middle Earth names is a matter of record.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized a big reason for my Minbari-like is because Mira Furlan looks very much like Diane Keaton in the 70's. "Love and Death" is my favorite Allen movie. She's on fire there. And it crax me up.

Regarding Tolkien, JMS seems to enjoy being heavy on the myth and legend side in his works, I'm sure he's a diehard fan of Arda. I'm glad they haven't used any power artifacts in B5.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

We'll just have to watch out for the Minbari Cruiser Silmaril. [Smile]

Actually has anyone done a page listing 'links' or 'influences' or 'homages' in B5 to LOTR?

OK this is just off the top of my head:

There is the number thing: The Grey Council "The Nine" - Nine Rings for mortal men doomed to die.

Sinclair, Delenn, Sheridan - the Three - Three rings for Elven lords under the sky.

Is there a "Seven" anywhere? Or a One?

That was just something I thought to mention then - on deeper thought there are a few more - I don't want to go overboard.

The First Ones leaving the Galaxy -- The Elves leaving Middle Earth.

Legend of the Rangers - Lord of the Rings.

Rangers - Rangers (Yes it's a common term)

The Hand from LotR - Saruman who's symbol was the White Hand.

Z'Ha'Dum - Khazad-d�m.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Are you kidding? Mate this is the internet. There are websites out there that catalogue how often movies portray snow blowing in the wrong direction on a Tuesday.

In this case though, first stop for useless trivia is Wiki.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

*edit*

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The First Ones leaving the Galaxy -- The Elves leaving Middle Earth."

No, I'd say the Minbari are the elves in this story, older than the humans but mortal, wiser but able to sin and be arrogant.
The First Ones, being immortal, are kind of similar to the Valar demigods and angels, though. And after the destruction of Numenor they did remove themselves from direct involvement in human affairs ever again and raised the coastal walls of Valinor, even the island itself from the water.

But although I haven't seen all the episodes of B5, I can't recall any evidence of there being a higher power on level with Eru, an intangible and omnipotent creator of worlds and races. The closest we come is The First One, I guess (Bombadil slash Treebeard). Resurrecting someone and transferring your life's energy to them is close to godlike, I'd say.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just The First One, but the First of The First Ones (so not the Second, Third, or Fourth of the First Ones, but The First, who came before The Second, The Third, and The Fourth of The First Ones, because he was The First, and First comes before Second, Third, and Fourth). Bit strange, really, to call yourself The First of The First Ones as if all The First Ones were just One and not More Than One, but then he did live in a giant dark pit surrounded by First Ones who were First (and not Second, Third, or Fourth) but not The First, so we can forgive him that.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Confusing mathematics aside, even Lorien specifically said he cannot create life and what he does do is all about the application of energies (similar to how the Alien Healing Device operates.)

The closest analogy to a supreme being in the B5 universe is the universe itself. This is reflected in the Mimbari belief that all life is the universe's conciousness made manifest and is searching to understand itself. Now if you extend that mode of thinking to how Lorien described his race's immortality then the universe started with only a handful of sentients and later DECIDED that a multitude of short lived individuals was more efficient/desirable for it's purpose.

Having said that, I'd be careful about trying to force analogies where none exist. Clearly JMS was informed by LoTR (among a great many other influences) I don't think it's fair to impose too many direct comparisons.
A good example is in that Wiki article;

quote:
JMS noted in the DVD release of Babylon 5 that one of his favorite science fiction stories is Frank Herbert's Dune. There may be analog between the Padishah Empire and the Centauri, the Psi Corps or the Bene Gesserit, the Vorlons and the Spacing Guild, the Narn and Fremen.
Now that's what I call a stretch! Bester as Reverend Mother? Kosh is a Navigator? G'Kar is a FREMEN?! Please.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Not just The First One, but the First of The First Ones (so not the Second, Third, or Fourth of the First Ones, but The First, who came before The Second, The Third, and The Fourth of The First Ones, because he was The First, and First comes before Second, Third, and Fourth). Bit strange, really, to call yourself The First of The First Ones as if all The First Ones were just One and not More Than One, but then he did live in a giant dark pit surrounded by First Ones who were First (and not Second, Third, or Fourth) but not The First, so we can forgive him that.

Curses. That's just crying out for a response from The First One. Unfortunately, although the account has apprently been unlocked (after six years!) I can't seem to log in to it. Oh, well.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

He must have gone beyond the rim...

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
If you quote Zathras next, this time next week you'll be flying blubber/dogshit out of Hong Kong.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

...poor Zathras.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps