Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » And Megatron will be voiced by... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And Megatron will be voiced by...
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Frank Welker. The role has apparantly gone to Hugo Weaving. I was really hoping that we'd get both Cullen and Welker, but I guess not.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guy Megatron
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D for Decepticon.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hugo Weaving as in Agent Smith?

Well, I'll be damned.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is this because they couldn't get Welker, or because they wouldn't?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I gather he wanted the gig, but I imagine they want to distance themselves from Welker's old characterisation of Megatron. Presumably they think Weaving will help deliver a more credible villian.
They might be right.
Still it would be nice if they could give Welker something to do, I mean the bloke's vocal talent is undisputed. Perhaps a break with convention and give hime an onscreen cameo?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last posts from one of the producers on the film reported that the studio HAD pushed back on some of things, including some transformer design changes made to appeal more to the older fans, and the casting of Cullen as Bigbot instead of a "Name" actor (which in my view is stupid - who goes to watch an animated film for the big star voices?!). But the production team held fast to some things, and we got a re-designed Prime with the voice we wanted.

I agree that Welker's Megatron lacked the ability for real depth of character - David Kaye's Megs leads the pack for that. We'll see what Weaving can do...

"Misssster Optimus... We've missed you."

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In theory, they surely could have recorded both Welker and Weaving, then seen which proved more popular in test screenings.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very practical since the voice and the performance often inform the animation.
Two different actors means two different performances, they'd have to animate to one of them over the other, which would mean one of the tracks wouldn't gel.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case, it would be a matter of dubbing after the fact. The animation would take so long to do, that it would have had to have ben completely recorded at LEAST two years ago (this is the case for most Dinsey flicks). Cullen's casting was announced only last year - therefore, the odds are that they animated the machines to a temp voiceover, and the "name" voices were brought in later to loop the temp voices.

Mark

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Cullen looks a little bit like Robert Goulet. That's all I've got.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polite golf clap.

Nobody wanted an obviously insane Leonard Nimoy vocal performance?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious who will do Starscream, if he has any lines, that is. Personally, I think Mark Hamill could do a teriffic job there. I love his version of the Joker!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Michael Dobson would be my choice - his work with the Armada/Energon/Cybertron versions of the 'Screamer were one of the better parts of those shows. But I personally know the actor, so I'm biased. [Razz] However, the studio is pressuring to use "name" actors (hence Weaving) so I'm guessing it'll be someone we know.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know him?
Does he sound like Naraku all the time?

I sure would.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps