Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW "Last of the Time Lords" [Megaspoilers!] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ DW "Last of the Time Lords" [Megaspoilers!]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This finale was... Great, I guess. Tons of stuff happens, the great big Reset Button was pushed, people leave, and the setup for the next Christmas Special was unexpected. And yet, I was strangely underwhelmed. Producer Davies has gained a reputation of writing great IDEA episodes, but being unable on following through on his setups. Such is the case here... Everything we expected to happen, happened. There were surprises, there were twists and turns, I was satisfied, but when it was over there was a vaguely bad aftertaste.

Thoughts?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underwhelming is exactly what I said after watching it. I was expecting it, but the whole Big Reset Button (TM) was a bit obvious.

In fact, the only bits I liked were Doctor Dobby, the sound of manic laughter from the Master at the end (sort of a Flash Gordon ending I thought), and the Face of Boe.

Other then that it was all a bit medeocre, but I expected as much from last weeks episode, and the story followed as I had guessed it might (well, except for the very end).

Everybody had too much to do (except John Barrowman who was woefully underused in these last three episodes other than explaining why the Doctor left him behind), and too little time to do it (I may have to watch the longer cut at some stage, but I doubt that this will help much).

It just doesn't seem right that such a good season should end like this. Perhaps they brought the Master back too early, or were too keen to modernise him. Suffice to say, John Simm was good, but the petulant, cheesy Master who likes the Scissor Sisters and Rogue Traders didn't do it for me.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come off it, the sequence where he boogies around his lair to the Scissor Sisters was brilliant. Perfect lyrics too.

If it's the real Titanic, then they have to bring Eccleston back for a Two Doctors Christmas special. It'd be better than the Kyliefest they're hinting at.

Martha will be back, it's obvious, they just want her out of the way for the Crimbo ep. And rumours suggest there may be a second Companion next year, which will obviously be the hunky Dr. Tom.

It's also obvious that the Mater influenced Mrs. Saxon to shoot him, knowing that presented him with more options than being banged up in the TARDIS. Whether it's her who then retrieves his ring, or Sinister Woman, well, we'll see. Did either have red painted fingernails? One positive: unusual method of regeneration could mean the return of Simm in the role.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, good series. One thing I noticed is that all through they kept reinforcing the idea that the Doctor's interactions with times, people and places needn't be linear - the tie gag in "Smith & Jones," the Doctor being on Elizabeth I's shit-list for something HE hasn't done yet in "Shakespeare Code" and, for advanced students, the whole time-loop in "Blink."

From spoilers I knew that a baddie known as Mr. Saxcon would appear, and he might turn out to be the Master. But I also knew that the Derek Jacobi character would be seen to regenerate. But I couldn't put the two together - how could the Master be Jacobi (and whoever he turned into) when we all knew (or suspected) that the Master was already around and played by Simm? Schoolboy error! The Mater also travels through time and can dip in and out at will, as we subsequently saw. I'm so embarrassed. Somewhere, a Q is curling his lip in derision at me.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I don't get is, if the Master can build a machine that allows people to go back in time and murder their ancestors...why can't the Doctor build the same thing and go back and save his people? Killing people is just as much changing history as saving people. He's shown to be so upset and lonely when he's the only one left, but surely there lies an answer...a working paradox machine would surely allow him to end his loneliness.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my sentiments - at this stage... echo Mark's. It was GREAT... but... yeah.

Was the wife of the Master the same as the girlfriend of Martha's father?? Just both blonde/bimboesque? Did anyone find the wife of the Master just weird... she sorta drifted around... is it because the Master had her under his spell?

Can someone explain how everyone chanting 'Doctor' turned him young and into an energy angel!?!

David Tennet's acting saves it.

Did anyone get a few David Tennet-esque mannerisms from John Simm at times?

While cute - I really don't like the FoB/CJH connection.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

It's also obvious that the Mater influenced Mrs. Saxon to shoot him, knowing that presented him with more options than being banged up in the TARDIS. Whether it's her who then retrieves his ring, or Sinister Woman, well, we'll see. Did either have red painted fingernails? One positive: unusual method of regeneration could mean the return of Simm in the role.

I kept a keen eye out for her fingernails when I watch Confidential, and she did have red nails, just like the person picking up the ring. Presumably the Master's essence or something is contained in there. I hope it does mean John Simm will be back.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This season was great overall, the absolute highlight (of the entire series) being the John Smith arc.

The Master is growing on me. That song he played at the beginning was perfect, as lyrics and madness go. It's a bit of a shame we didnt see much of the actual Doctor in the last episode, but I guess it was counterbalanced by seeing a lot of Martha.

The ring looks like it has similar markings on it as the 'chameleon-watch'. So it's quite possible we'll see Simms again. Or at least the Master.

Now.. if that's the real Titanic.. than the TARDIS could be.. an.. iceberg?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Master did fix the chameleon circuit, supposedly.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

Sinister Woman didn't have red nails, I checked on my DL'ed copy of "TSoD."

Others have also reported the rumour that the new Companion will be Dr. Milligan, and he'll be in the whole next series, while Martha will be in a few eps of Torchwood and then rejoin Who for the latter half of the season. I personally don't see any way in which they could have Drs. Who and Milligan join up without being totally contrived - all the people in the world, and the Doctor picks up this one guy that Martha met in an alternate future and kinda fancied?

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have sworn she had red nails, because that's what made me check if The Master's woman did as well.

Anyway, not looking forward to Milligan being in it if he is.. though the Doc does need a male companion for a change. All these attractive young ladies he brings home.. people will talk. [Smile] If they really want to make things interesting they could give him a non-human companion, so we could learn about some other planet and not have to see Cardiff city centre for a few episodes.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they could bring back an old companion?? The Brigadier!!

Hang on sinister woman is from an earlier episode isn't she - trying to convince Martha's mum that the Doctor is bad? Sinister woman and Mrs. Saxon aren't the same are they? Mrs. Saxon looked to be in a perpetual daze - I'm guessing the Master put her under some sort of spell. Then there is also the floozy that Martha's father was going out with in the First episode of the season... she was blonde too - but she wasn't the same as Mrs. Saxon or Sinister woman was she?

The Titanic breaking THROUGH the Tardis... doesn't that open up a whole can of worms... cause now the TARDIS is no longer a self contained bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside type thing, or didn't they think of that?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
Member # 393

I could only really see her hands in one shot of "TSoD," and her nails were unpainted (as were Lucy Saxon's in all the shots I checked from that ep - no copy of "TLotTL" to look at but given she'd started wearing red-strumpet-dresses instead of sensible PM's wife attire. . .). I don't know if she had painted nails in "42" as I don't have a copy. She's not the same as Trevor's floozy nor Mrs. Saxon. She's played by a former Hollyoaks actress I think. That's not to say that she couldn't be wearing nail-varnish by the time she decided to go rootling through barbecued Master though. The nail-varnish could just be there to highlight that it is a female person who retrieves the ring, I suspect.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention - Lucy Saxon does have red nail-varnish in this ep, I saw it on one of the BBC3 repeats.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I think the implication is that it's Lucy. Whether or not we'll see her AS the Master (Mistress?) is up in the air. Frankly, I'd like to see more of John Simm, as the Master has been crispy before. [Smile] Or, is the intent to make The Master like Number Two from The Prisoner - different every time?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps